Question on ACLS, PALS certifications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MexicanDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can an EMT-B become certified on ACLS, PALS etc or only medics can do this? I am currently a year away from finishing RN school, but also am an EMT-B.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Can an EMT-B become certified on ACLS, PALS etc or only medics can do this? I am currently a year away from finishing RN school, but also am an EMT-B.

Thanks in advance

Yes you can. However, ACLS and PALS are not certifications in the sense that you are allowed to actually perform the modalities covered in said courses. You are certified in that you have passed the course and met certain objectives.

With that, many different types of health care providers can take these courses and even receive a card because the AHA recognises that the role of any individual health care provider can be very different and both state and facility guidelines dictate actual scope of practice.

For example, RN's typically do not intubate within the facility, but they are still allowed to complete the courses. The same applies with EMT's. You may not be able to perform many of the modalities, but your role in a certain situation is still important and in all honesty, the basic components of emergency care (BLS, AED, CAB, CPR and so on) are the major emphasis of both courses.

I would go ahead and get these certs if you can. They are good for two years and once you have your initial cert the refresher course is only one day to recert instead of two. It will make it easier the second time around when you have to take them as an RN.

A caveat: courses like ACLS & PALS assume that you are able to read EKG's and are familiar with the medications used. Not all nursing programs teach these topics. If you aren't familiar with them, I'd advise holding off on these courses. If you are familiar - go for it.