Question on number of atp's from aerobic respiration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDMDJDJD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
FA 2009 (p101) says aerobic metabolism yields 30-32 ATP per glucose (depending on if youre using glycerol 3P shuttle or malate-asp shuttle).

RR Biochem (p 93) says aerobic metabolism yields 36-38 ATP per glucose (depending on if youre using glycerol 3P shuttle or malate-asp shuttle). They provide a breakdown:
Glycolysis: 2 ATP + 2 NADH --> 6-8 ATP
PDH: 2 NADH --> 6 ATP
TCA: 24 ATP

Why the discrepancy? All I could find on the boards was a q in the MCAT discussion where someone said the difference lies in whether you use 2 & 3 ATP per NADH or 1.5 & 2.5 ATP per NADH.... I did the math & that seems like a logical explanation for the difference.

I know it's minutiae, but does it matter which one we go with??

Members don't see this ad.

30 ATP in Eukaryotes and 32 ATP in Prokaryotes

-Glycolysis yields 2 ATP and 2 NADH which in total yields 5 or 7 ATP
-PDH yields 2 NADH which yields 5 ATP
-TCA yields 6 NADH, 2 GTP, 2 FADH2 for a total of 20 ATP

These are for the most recent understanding of ATP synthesis but some textbooks still cling to the previously established counts of 36 and 38 ATP

-LIS

Prokaryotes with aerobic = 38 net ATP (Since they do not need to use 2 ATP in glycolysis.

Eukaryotes = 36 net ATP (Since they do use 2 ATP for glycolysis)

Prokaryotes with anaerobic = 2 ATP net

NADH from substrate level phosphorylation (Anything outside of ETC) = 2 ATP
NADH (Oxidative) = 3 ATP
FADH2 = 2 ATP
GTP = 1 ATP

Members don't see this ad :)
In general biology, I learned 36/38. In cell bio, I learned that the recent research suggests 30/32.

I don't think the numbers matter.

My TPR course this summer made sure to mention several times that the MCAT would be looking for 30 for eukaryotes and 32 for prokaryotes if the question were to arise.

I can't confirm this but I was told this by several people so take that for what you will.

My TPR course this summer made sure to mention several times that the MCAT would be looking for 30 for eukaryotes and 32 for prokaryotes if the question were to arise.

I can't confirm this but I was told this by several people so take that for what you will.

Interesting. EK Audio Osmosis says that unless specified otherwise, for the MCAT the number is 36.

According to my prof, the latest research shows 30/32. Someone mentioned that TPR's course, which should be updated, lists 30/32. EK may be outdated.

Doesn't matter though. Something like that is highly unlikely to show up on an exam.