Question on the basics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Potential123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My plan was to become a pharmacist, but with the recent struggles in the job market and all the new schools, I decided to look into Occupational Therapy. Do I need to have a doctorate to get a job as an occupational therapist, or will a Master's do? Furthermore, what is the starting salary as an OT in the east coast area?

Members don't see this ad.

Jumping from a pharmacist to an OT is quite a leap. Have you honestly looked into what OTs actually do? I think it's a great career and the availability of jobs right now make becoming an OT very attractive, but please please please do your research before you take the leap. As the person above mentioned, aota.org has all the info on applying to schools and the schools that have OT programs as well as specialty areas and other good information. I would also recommend getting some volunteer/observation experience and talk to a few OTs near where you live. You can volunteer at hospitals, nursing homes, rehabilitation facilities, summer camps for people with disabilities, or observe at private clinics. There's a lot of places that OTs work, I think observation/volunteering is the best way to get to know the profession since it's so hard to explain. Plus for many programs you're required to have a certain number of volunteer and observation hours before you can apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Jewel11786...it would suck taking prereq's that you may not have and then deciding that OT isn't for you. Plus on your essay/interview they will ask why OT...so if it is just for job market and money then that would be a flag since OT school is pretty competitive now.

OT is a wonderful field and go for it but do your research and observe some OT's

You guys are right. I am interested in this field and I should take the necessary steps to see what its about. But, I would be lying if I didn't have salary and the job market in mind. Ive decided with the cost of pharmacy school and the job uncertainty, it might be best to look at another field, thus OT. Salary is a factor and I'm wondering if this would be a good investment if I am indeed interested?

Hey Potential123,

I think your train of thought is absolutely logical and there are people in my class who will readily admit that is how the initially even began to consider OT. That being said, now that I am almost done with my first year, it is not a field for everybody.

Many people make a leap from PT to OT thinking that OT might be easier since it's only 2 years instead of 3 and this is just not the case. OT is a very eclectic and outside the box kind of field. If you are strictly and math/science kind of person, it might not be a good fit. While OT is a blending of art and science with a foundation rooted in psychology so I've seen some people struggle who have more of a PT or just strict medical field kind of mind set.

In NO way am I discouraging you from investigating and learning about our field while trying to figure out if it is right for you. The reason so many schools require so many observation hours in multiple settings is for this very reason. While it may seem like a crazy "all over the place" kind of field, there is a place for most personality types and interests. My best advice is to find some places where you can do some observations and job shadowing and start to see OTs in action!! It's an AMAZING field and I am so proud to be a part of it!!

If you are strictly thinking of "good investment" in terms of money, then it is a "good investment" if you attend a public program (where tuition each semester is reasonable). Or if you have the money to attend private school programs without taking out huge loans.

Now, many people choose to go into this field because they are passionate about it, not just because of the dollar signs, and they gladly attend various private schools across the country. There is nothing wrong with attending private schools for OT -- USC, NYU, Columbia, etc have great programs. But if you are thinking strightly about your wallet, then you have a strong possibilty of graduating OT school with loans that will total more than your starting salary.

You really need to do your own research. Check out the AOTA website for schools near you, check out how much they cost, etc. Check out salaries online. OT salaries vary a lot depending on what setting you choose to work (pediatrics less, SNFs more). Think about what settings you could work in and how diligent you will be once you graduate and have to start paying off loans. There are people who can pull off the 80 hour work week and others who can't.

As with any other graduate program, make sure this is what you want to do before you commit. You can read plenty of unhappy ex-OT opinions on the indeed forums for occupational therapy. You don't want to commit to this career and realize you hate it 6 months in and wish you had just gone with pharmacy.