Question on Units:quarter ratio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

santoukie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi im new here,
Hi i understand theres a search button and ive tried looking at past posts but due to my procrastination im in a pickle. My drop date for no penalty drop is tomorrow. I am in a quarter system university and i am a sophmore. Ive tooken one quarter freshman year with four classes and did fairly well like ~3.8 or something, my gpa cummulative is ~3.5 area or so and lately ive been taking only 3 classes this whole sophmore year. Ochem a Bio class and a Upper division psychology class. This quarter i signed up for Ochem, Bio101, upperdivision psych class and a english class. However i feel like i wont do too well in bio101 and maybe in ochem due to the added reading of english. So if i dropped english i would only be taking 12 units this quarter. Which has been my the same amount this whole year. I hear the average for quarter system is 15-16 units...so i was wondering how bad would it be for me to drop my english class and just take it later on? do med schools care that im under the avg. units for a full time student? i know if i drop this class i can succeed alot further in my other three classes, please let me know, sorry about this longg post esp. being my first.
-joe

Members don't see this ad.

santoukie said:
Hi im new here,
Hi i understand theres a search button and ive tried looking at past posts but due to my procrastination im in a pickle. My drop date for no penalty drop is tomorrow. I am in a quarter system university and i am a sophmore. Ive tooken one quarter freshman year with four classes and did fairly well like ~3.8 or something, my gpa cummulative is ~3.5 area or so and lately ive been taking only 3 classes this whole sophmore year. Ochem a Bio class and a Upper division psychology class. This quarter i signed up for Ochem, Bio101, upperdivision psych class and a english class. However i feel like i wont do too well in bio101 and maybe in ochem due to the added reading of english. So if i dropped english i would only be taking 12 units this quarter. Which has been my the same amount this whole year. I hear the average for quarter system is 15-16 units...so i was wondering how bad would it be for me to drop my english class and just take it later on? do med schools care that im under the avg. units for a full time student? i know if i drop this class i can succeed alot further in my other three classes, please let me know, sorry about this longg post esp. being my first.
-joe

Drop the class. It is not a big deal at all. It is better that you do well in your science classes then to worry about doing reading for your english class. You are already taking a lot on with the Ochem and Bio at the same time. Drop the english course and take it later on as a senior when you are more relaxed. Believe me.

housemd said:
Drop the class. It is not a big deal at all. It is better that you do well in your science classes then to worry about doing reading for your english class. You are already taking a lot on with the Ochem and Bio at the same time. Drop the english course and take it later on as a senior when you are more relaxed. Believe me.

thanks alot yeah i needed a good reasurance reply like that, because my premed advisor here at davis, kept telling me, you already took this whole year with only 3 classes per qaurter so step it up. but yeah i think i might just drop the english and start studying mcat do some research, and volunteer again, thanks for the quick reply.
edit:miscalculated units

Members don't see this ad :)
santoukie said:
thanks alot yeah i needed a good reasurance reply like that, because my premed advisor here at davis, kept telling me, you already took this whole year with only 3 classes per quarter ~18 units per semester in other words, and she told me to up it up to 4 ~22 or sunits per semeseter, so i think i might just drop the english and start studying mcat do some research, and volunteer again, thanks for the quick reply.

No problem. Don't listen to that crap. I was on quarter system as well and only took 4 classes 3 times in 4 years and got into a few top med schools just fine. I saw many of my friends take on too much of a course load and their grades suffered. In the end, it is better to pace yourself and do it on your own pace since you know yourself the best. Part of being smart is knowing your limits. Good luck.

housemd said:
No problem. Don't listen to that crap. I was on quarter system as well and only took 4 classes 3 times in 4 years and got into a few top med schools just fine. I saw many of my friends take on too much of a course load and their grades suffered. In the end, it is better to pace yourself and do it on your own pace since you know yourself the best. Part of being smart is knowing your limits. Good luck.

Cool, yeah im gonna drop the class tonight, i feel guilty like imtaking the easy way out, but im going to make up for it through other stuff. Thanks also while were on the topic of me being a new guy, how do you post a reply without having to quote everytime? is it that reply to thread button thing?
eh. thanks