question regarding how mcat is scaled

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dwong

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
as title says. since i'm hearing all these people voiding their exams b/c it was "hard". So i'd presume that the way that the raw scores are scaled for a particular test is already determined by the test admins? i mean its not like a university midterm where 90% of the class fails and the prof scales it to a 65% average or something? i mean say if someone were consistantly getting high 30's on their AAMC and on the real thing thought it was "hard", wouldnt the other test takers be feeling the same and in the end it'll get scaled to compensate for the difficulty?

thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nobody knows the answer to this question but predetermining the curve and ignoring the raw score doesn't make a lot of sense. But my 5/27 score had almost the same percentile as did those who took the exam in 2007. So you may be right that some of the questions that are repeats already have a predetermined curve.

Members don't see this ad :)
They know all they need to know from your thumbprint. The test is just an excuse to get it.