Question regarding Interventional Pain Management

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

W222

2K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Up until recently I had no idea what pain management entailed and I had no interest in taking care of patients who were in chronic pain, but I recently discovered the wide scope of pain management. I still have a few questions though.

Do interventional pain management docs actually place spinal pumps in or are these only placed by neurosurgeons?

Do they place nerve stimulators or is that also the neurosurgeons?

What territory is pain management's and what is neurosurg's?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you are in for the money. You are going to hate it. I have seen many fellowship trained pain physicians not practicing pain. Good hours and good money don't compensate for the crap you have to deal with everyday.

Sounds like you are in for the money. You are going to hate it. I have seen many fellowship trained pain physicians not practicing pain. Good hours and good money don't compensate for the crap you have to deal with everyday.

ughhhhh....

At Rush we place spinal stims and intrathecal pumps. I'm not sure that neurosurgeons are commonly doing these procedures. Never-the-less we have a large NS dept and those guys don't place these devices.

I cannot comment on how it is elsewhere. However it seems that most of the large pain centers are indeed run by anesthesiologists and they are the ones placing these devices (cleveland clinic, wake, etc...)

Members don't see this ad :)
ughhhhh....

At Rush we place spinal stims and intrathecal pumps. I'm not sure that neurosurgeons are commonly doing these procedures. Never-the-less we have a large NS dept and those guys don't place these devices.

I cannot comment on how it is elsewhere. However it seems that most of the large pain centers are indeed run by anesthesiologists and they are the ones placing these devices (cleveland clinic, wake, etc...)

Thank you for the info.

To adress URGEWRX's comment on money: I am not in it for the money. The thing I never realized about pain was that there were alot of procedures involved, which is something that drew me to anesthesia in the first place. I always thought of pain management as writing scripts for narcs every month for drug addicted patients and those who were crazy/needy.

I always thought of pain management as writing scripts for narcs every month for drug addicted patients and those who were crazy/needy.

That's the bulk of your time. If you think you will only do procedures and have someone else deal with the crap, you are dreaming.

hmmm

i do a lot of interventional pain management - and yes i do provide pharmacological consultations - but i don't prescribe medications...

and all of the nut jobs are required to see a pain psychologist before they see me - that helps a ton

pain isn't for everybody - and there are days that are emotionally exhausting because you get sucked into their vortex of disaster.

Up until recently I had no idea what pain management entailed and I had no interest in taking care of patients who were in chronic pain, but I recently discovered the wide scope of pain management. I still have a few questions though.

Do interventional pain management docs actually place spinal pumps in or are these only placed by neurosurgeons?

Do they place nerve stimulators or is that also the neurosurgeons?

What territory is pain management's and what is neurosurg's?

Univ of Washington Anesthesia Pain does not do stims, it is all done by the neurosurgeons. Actually i think the guy at U. of W (neurosurgeon) was the one that STARTED stims. This is probably true at other institutions (neurosugeons implanting), however, most anesthsia pain docs do them.

Although you can find pain trained docs doing anesthesia, most pain trained docs (and I have spoken to many since I interviewed at many programs for pain) loved anesthesia and wanted to do both after fininshing their training. (In fact, I had two or three program directors tell me that they were looking for people that were not "running" from anesthesia but enjoyed both). But the point is, most of them ended up doing just pain because they loved it so much.

Obviously some people could not stand it, but the same is true with peds anesthesia, OB anesthesia, etc.

Plus, one of the problems is that each pain clinic is run so very different, so it is hard to judge what being a pain physician is really like based on one clinic. Some pain clinics do very little procedures and a lot of medical management and hand holding. Some do only procedures and minimal to no medical management. I guess it depends on what you like and are comfortable with.

When UrgeWX says that most of the time is spent writing scripts, talking, etc, that is because some clinics are like this. All I can say is too bad for those suckers. :laugh: