Question regarding undergrad. education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmbitiousRhody

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone...

I'm currently a senior in high school, and became very interested in the MD/PHD career field recently. Prior to this career choice, I had wanted to be a veterinarian, and therefore opted to double major in Biology & Business Management; I still plan on majoring in Bio., however, would like to know if Management or Marketing Informations Systems would be more beneficial for my new found career choice? Additionally, I need to ensure that the undergrad. schools I'm applying to would be viewed as good enough in a Med School's eyes; top choice is Providence College (private, co-ed, liberal arts), second is Roger Williams University (private, co-ed.), and third is University of Rhode Island..

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just go to a school where you think you'll be comfortable and know that you'll have opportunities to do research. If the programs you are applying to are accredited, it should be fine then. I'm applying right now and my major weakness is that they are looking for a little more research than I have.

TP

OP, I agree with SirTony. Go where you feel the most comfortable, get the most financial aid, and have the opportunity to work in an interesting lab with a mentor who is interested in professional development for students. Liberal arts colleges can be surprisingly good choices; since there are no grad students, the professors basically only have UG researchers in their labs and you work directly with the profs. That was my experience anyway. My school was very research-focused and required all students to do a senior honors thesis with a defense as if we were getting a masters, even the non-science majors. Some of us presented at conferences and got published as UGs, and we had a lot of lab experience by the time we graduated since we basically spent our senior year working on the thesis.