Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor05

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker with a question....I'm interviewing for EP and have had some interviews already with one offering. The position I was offered is my third choice...and my top 2 are still coming (one in March, April). How bad is it to accept my offering and to continue interviewing (and potentially take one of my top 2 choices if they are offered later). They would still have another year to look for applicants if I withdrew

Obviously, this is not an ideal situation, however I feel like I worked hard enough to at least see all my offered interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

You can tell them that you are still interviewing and will get back to them sometime in March or April. When you interview at other places, let them know that you have to make a decision soon. I was in the same situation for another subspecialty but did not make any decisions until I finished interviewing. Be honorable and be straight in the dealings.

Long time lurker with a question....I'm interviewing for EP and have had some interviews already with one offering. The position I was offered is my third choice...and my top 2 are still coming (one in March, April). How bad is it to accept my offering and to continue interviewing (and potentially take one of my top 2 choices if they are offered later). They would still have another year to look for applicants if I withdrew

Obviously, this is not an ideal situation, however I feel like I worked hard enough to at least see all my offered interviews.

It's not bad unless you get caught. EP is not that big of a field, and it is possible that the program directors will speak to each other, unless the programs are community programs or very disparate. That's the risk you run in accepting the offer and continuing to interview (losing the initial, and all subsequent offers). Have they given you a deadline to respond by?

p diddy

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats the problem, they are only giving me a week -- take it or leave it. It puts me in a difficult position as i'd like to check out my other 2 programs of interest -- but I can't risk saying no and then not getting an acceptance there. That's why I was wondering how bad it was accepting and then withdrawing potentially (I would not sign any contract).

Thats the problem, they are only giving me a week -- take it or leave it. It puts me in a difficult position as i'd like to check out my other 2 programs of interest -- but I can't risk saying no and then not getting an acceptance there. That's why I was wondering how bad it was accepting and then withdrawing potentially (I would not sign any contract).

And this...right here...this is why the civilized world uses the Match.

So if they're being douches about it, play the same game. Accept verbally, don't sign anything (not even an letter of intent...do not put your signature on anything, in fact, consider calling rather than emailing to accept) and see how the other interviews go.

And this...right here...this is why the civilized world uses the Match.

So if they're being douches about it, play the same game. Accept verbally, don't sign anything (not even an letter of intent...do not put your signature on anything, in fact, consider calling rather than emailing to accept) and see how the other interviews go.
You could do this, but I'd be very careful. Your reputation with both the offering program and your home program could be affected. If people start to think your word isn't good enough then that could carry over to job offers etc. Just something to consider.

I had to agree with Trifling Jester.. The reputation is very important... It is a small community when it comes to programs in Interventional and EP that interview outsiders (70-100 in each case... These guys meet regularly in ACC, AHA, SCAI, HRS,.... ) so even if you survive it now , you will get caught at some point....
How big is the difference between your second and third program???? is it worth the risk??