question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

red9_95

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am a MD student. I read the message posted by Prefontaine that some internships are dual certified by AOA and Transitional year(MD program). I was wondering if anyone know if it is possible for me to do traditional rotating internship(AOA) in any osteopathic hospital. If it is possible please let me know about the hospitals. My e-mail is [email protected]. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Red

[This message has been edited by red9_95 (edited May 12, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by red9_95 (edited May 12, 1999).]

Members don't see this ad.

MD can not get into DO residency or internship

Why would you want to do an osteopathic internship? I heard tell that (in general) these hospitals aren't as good as allopathic hospitals. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think MD students should be allowed access to osteopathic GME if OMT is required training in that residency etc...

Does anyone know the reasoning behind why they currently are denied access?

Part of it is probably because there are hardly enough AOA residency spots for all of the D.O.s now.

you mean internship slots. There are residency slots applenty. Many many of them go unfilled each year. The problem is that they tie the internship year into the residency (ie. no separate matches for internship and residency). The internship is the bottle neck, not the residency.

There were ~450 unfilled AOA intern positions in 1999. Since many DOs skip the AOA internship, there are plenty of slots and (at this time) no bottleneck.

hi, Where can I find openings in AOA internships right now. Can you direct me to any specific website. Thanks

You need an access code and pin # to retrieve the information...only AOA grads are eligible for the positions...are you a foreign medical student? I cannot think of any other reason why you would be interested.

hello, I am a foreign medical graduate. I passed Usmle 1 and 2 with scores of 93 and 91. I really want to get into surgical residency. But I know it is impossible to get surgerical residency in allopathic program. So I am looking for other options. Thank you again for you feedbacks.

Red

I don't think that you can do an AOA internship as an FMG (or US MD student?). Maybe someone else knows for sure.

Ponyboy,
I think that is a pretty ignorant thing to say. The Osteopathic residencies are just as good as the allopathic ones. Granted you will find "duds" in either domain. However, such programs should not tarnish the reputation of either groups' residencies.