Question

Fyre4Man

High Schooler
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I want to be a Doctor but I don't know if I can handle the gore. I can handle blood, but I don't know if I can handle seeing organs and the internal system of the human body. SO can someone tell me a way to get over my fear?????:scared:
(I mean I have seen doctor's who have just done surgery, then afterwards I see them eating their lunch like seeing the organs and everything didn't even affect them.)

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, so I want to be a Doctor but I don't know if I can handle the gore. I can handle blood, but I don't know if I can handle seeing organs and the internal system of the human body. SO can someone tell me a way to get over my fear?????:scared:
(I mean I have seen doctor's who have just done surgery, then afterwards I see them eating their lunch like seeing the organs and everything didn't even affect them.)

Just because you're not sure if you could handle the "gore" at this point really does not have anything to do with whether or you could be a doctor one day. It is still VERY early in your education process and I'm sure a lot of physicians early on had some sort of issues dealing with with the blood and guts of medicine.

Don't stress about it right now, not really anything you need to be doing now to get over that issue, just focus on school and other activities. You could always see about shadowing some local doctors to get a feel for what their job entails on a day to day basis and if this issue is really a big deal to you then you could ask about going in to see a couple surgeries or something.

You don't have to be a surgeon...

Members don't see this ad :)
just worry about college for now. if you are really concerned about the blood and guts, ask if a local medical school/PA school would let you audit a gross anatomy lab

if you are really concerned about the blood and guts, ask if a local medical school/PA school would let you audit a gross anatomy lab

I don't think this a good idea. (1) Because lots of fabulous doctors *hate* anatomy lab. This is not about going in there and "feeling comfortable". If you do, I'd suggest a different career altogether. (2) It is not what the body donors wanted, they're there for med students and research, not for gawking.

First, do a year in college and start volunteering in a clinical context. There is a ton of paperwork -- blood and gore isn't the worst. ;)

Fortunately or unfortunately, people can get used to a lot of things.
If you stand, 4 years from now, in an anatomy lab, you'll be looking at the details, thinking about what you are seeing and the context changes. Yes, emotionally it isn't easy, :rolleyes: but there will be a whole different perspective to what you are doing -- and that makes it easier. Same goes for having a patient coming in, bleeding profusely. Sure, you'll be going "yikes, that is horrid!" but your training will also let you jump into action and do what's best for the patient (and you'll feel proud of your work later).

Do well in college, volunteer, and enjoy what you do. :)

PS: Search for a recent post on donating blood. This might help you to start getting used to seeing blood -- in a nice context. :D

Last edited:
Sometimes I feel like the only one that doesn't mind guts. :(

Try forcing yourself to watch gory horror movies, it might psychologically condition you to get "used to it".

I don't think this a good idea. (1) Because lots of fabulous doctors *hate* anatomy lab. This is not about going in there and "feeling comfortable". If you do, I'd suggest a different career altogether. (2) It is not what the body donors wanted, they're there for med students and research, not for gawking.

First, do a year in college and start volunteering in a clinical context. There is a ton of paperwork -- blood and gore isn't the worst. ;)

If you stand, 4 years from now, in an anatomy lab, you'll be looking at the details, thinking about what you are seeing and the context changes. Yes, emotionally it isn't easy, :rolleyes: but there will be a whole different perspective to what you are doing -- and that makes it easier. Same goes for having a patient coming in, bleeding profusely. Sure, you'll be going "yikes, that is horrid!" but your training will also let you jump into action and do what's best for the patient (and you'll feel proud of your work later).

PS: Search for a recent post on donating blood. This might help you to start getting used to seeing blood -- in a nice context. :D

I am just curious but why did you say, that if someone feels comfortable in a anantomy lab you should go to a different career altogether? :confused:

I am just curious but why did you say, that if someone feels comfortable in a anantomy lab you should go to a different career altogether? :confused:

I'd like to know that too. I liked anatomy (all except the face which was the 2nd creepiest thing in med school). The first creepiest thing in med school was going to an autopsy. Also, anatomy lab is NOTHING like a real OR or an operation on a living patient.

Also, you can get used to the stuff in med school. You get desensitized. OP, you should hear some of the conversations that occur during lunch -- if you're so surprised that people aren't bothered and eat after being in the OR. You gotta eat when you can, and a lot of times, you sit with friends and destress.

My bad, I wasn't taking into consideration the wants of the body donors.
OP listen to what he says, which (fortunately or unfortunately as he said) is true.