questions about being pharmacy intern and training (OJT also)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazybob

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've talked to couple of P3's at school who work for the pharmacist I shadowed last year. They said that I could talk to the pharmacist, and the P3 interns would train me later this semester while I work, and then after the P3's leave in May, I would have enough experience to work only with the pharmacist and the technicians still working there.

My situation is that I might not be in the area this summer, and I'm wondering how it might look to say "I can get trained and work until the end of the spring semester, but I can't come back until the fall semester starts." I could work until last week of April, and then start back on second or third week of August. Any suggestions on what I could do?

I can see few options:
  • Work and get trained on the job, and then come back in the fall to keep working.
  • Start training in the fall, and then continue working from there on.

Members don't see this ad.

I've talked to couple of P3's at school who work for the pharmacist I shadowed last year. They said that I could talk to the pharmacist, and the P3 interns would train me later this semester while I work, and then after the P3's leave in May, I would have enough experience to work only with the pharmacist and the technicians still working there.

My situation is that I might not be in the area this summer, and I'm wondering how it might look to say "I can get trained and work until the end of the spring semester, but I can't come back until the fall semester starts." I could work until last week of April, and then start back on second or third week of August. Any suggestions on what I could do?

I can see few options:
  • Work and get trained on the job, and then come back in the fall to keep working.
  • Start training in the fall, and then continue working from there on.

Sounds like you need to talk to the boss and not the interns. It's not really up to them. If they're leaving for rotations then there is going to be a position open but if you can't work until the fall then it will probably get filled by someone who can start in the summer. Talk to the pharmacist or the tech that does the schedules and makes the hiring decisions. Having recommendations from the previous interns will be a plus (as long as they had a good relationship with the staff).

Having said (typed) that, interns get a lot more leeway with scheduling since they know you are a student.

Step 1: get hired
Step 2: get trained
Step 3: ??????
Step 4: profit

Sounds like you need to talk to the boss and not the interns. It's not really up to them. If they're leaving for rotations then there is going to be a position open but if you can't work until the fall then it will probably get filled by someone who can start in the summer. Talk to the pharmacist or the tech that does the schedules and makes the hiring decisions. Having recommendations from the previous interns will be a plus (as long as they had a good relationship with the staff).

Having said (typed) that, interns get a lot more leeway with scheduling since they know you are a student.

Step 1: get hired
Step 2: get trained
Step 3: ??????
Step 4: profit

I think I'll just go with starting training in the spring and then picking up work in the fall since I live in the same town as the pharmacy. It's like 2-3 minutes from my house. If I somehow stay in the area over the summer, then I might be able to work during the summer. This seems like the best option to me.