Questions about delays in Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soleus715

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was initially planning to apply this June as soon as the application cycle opened up, but due to some issues in my family's business I had to put everything about my future on hold... for a second time.

I took the DAT last December and got a AA 23 and TS 23. My GPA is 3.1 for both science and cumulative.

At this moment I have 0 shadowing hours and 64 hours of volunteering. I have one letter of recommendation from a science professor but that's it at the moment.

I am finally starting shadowing next week and hoping to get a letter from the dentist.

I'm wondering if shadowing this late will significantly hurt my chances because my application is delayed to around mid-July or even end of August. Also, would cramming my shadowing hours near my application date have a big impact? Would work and financial situation be considered a decent reasoning for a late application?

Thanks for the advice. :)

Members don't see this ad.

so you're expecting to get a letter from the dentist you are shadowing in only a month? Where are your other recommendations coming from? I would definitely apply as early as possible. August is really pushing it and with only 64 hours of volunteering that is all they will see on your application until it gets updated. I'm in an interesting predicament myself applying as a non-traditional student, but all of my recommendations are done. I asked back in January. I work full-time plus classes, so somehow if you could explain your situation in a personal statement that might be beneficial but otherwise on the financial side you can apply for a fee waiver for your application but you probably need to submit paperwork for that.

Yeah im starting to think that it might be better to take another year off and maybe do more things to show growth in my application.

Even if I crammed 100+ shadowing hours by mid-June, I would have to ask for a recommendation around that time and the earliest I'd probably get a recommendation would be a month or two later. I'd also have to get the recommendation letters from another professor as well.

I'm gonna be consulting the dean at my in-state dental school to really see if late shadowing/late august application will have a significant impact.

It just sucks delaying another full year to apply because of something that took a couple months to resolve. :(

But you really want a strong recommendation and sometimes for a person to get to know you, you really need beyond a month or two for that I think. Definitely consult the dean and see what his opinion is. The worst you can do is apply and not get in, and by the time thats over you would have accumulated more hours and be ready for the next cycle.