Questions About Interviewing & Related Topics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Maybe In June,

I am a graduate student in a clinical PhD program and I can tell you that the unstructured time with graduate students that comes with being hosted can be really valuable. At least in my program, everyone who comes to interview for a given lab has already, for the most part, proved that they are qualified. The interview then serves two roles: (1) the time to see who was BSing the extent of their actual research interests and really applied for 20+ programs because they just want to get in SOMEWHERE, and (2) see who the lab wants to adopt for the next 5+ years of their lives. This is what everyone talks about with "fit." This is why those unrehearsed interactions can prove so valuable. This is an opportunity for them to find out if you are an overall enjoyable person to be around (you would be really surprised by how awkward some people are applying for these programs) and can carry on an educated conversation without being pedantic. There's really no secret.

However, I do see the dilemna of staying with a grad student when you already live in town. If you opt instead for the one-on-one with a lab member make sure and find out if this will be one of your grad student interviews or if it's casual. If it's casual than DON'T make it an interview. I hope that makes sense? Most grad students want to know, is this someone I want to see around for the next few years of my life or who I want to be up all night collaborating on a project with? So don't show up with a bullet point list of why you are qualified for the role or questions you wrote down straight from this forum. Just find out what their experience has been like and then use that to have a real conversation, just like a first meeting with anyone would be if you were really excited about and engaged in what they do. Your questions should be a natural part of the conversation, and will be if this is really your passion. I would also make sure and ask about their experience personally/socially, because this is THE opportunity to find out if you could see yourself a part of that cohort. I asked every grad student on my interviews "are you happy?" No qualifier, just "are you happy?" It's fascinating the answers you get, and extremely informative--look for the trends.

Hi, The Waiting Game,
Thank you so much for this thoughtful reply! I'm not sure at this point whether it's really an option to stay with a grad student overnight, because of the way the POI framed things in the email to me. He did call this an "informal meeting" with one of his students to get tea or something similar, and he took the initiative to set it up for me (nice) with his student whose research interests most closely relate to my own, which should be helpful. After reading your reply, I'm thinking I should treat the meeting more informally, but be sure to have a good idea of the kinds of questions I want to ask about lifestyle, social life, mentorship by the POI, etc. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, The Waiting Game,
Thank you so much for this thoughtful reply! I'm not sure at this point whether it's really an option to stay with a grad student overnight, because of the way the POI framed things in the email to me. He did call this an "informal meeting" with one of his students to get tea or something similar, and he took the initiative to set it up for me (nice) with his student whose research interests most closely relate to my own, which should be helpful. After reading your reply, I'm thinking I should treat the meeting more informally, but be sure to have a good idea of the kinds of questions I want to ask about lifestyle, social life, mentorship by the POI, etc. Thanks again!

Meeting with graduate students is great to do. However, there may be a lot of variability by graduate student as well (just like POI).

My mentor routinely had me do informal meetings with potential students and participate in interviewing them. They did not give me a specific set of instructions on how to do this, so I did it however I saw fit. I usually was pretty laid back and happy to answer questions about the lab. Some students I think got too comfortable and probably started sharing TMI. My mentor asked me for my open-ended impressions. Usually, if people in the lab liked a candidate, they got an offer.

Last edited:
Meeting with graduate students is great to do. However, there may be a lot of variability by graduate student as well (just like POI).

My mentor routinely had me do informal meetings with graduate students and participate in interviewing them. They did not give me a specific set of instructions on how to do this, so I did it however I saw fit. I usually was pretty laid back and happy to answer questions about the lab. Some students I think got too comfortable and probably started sharing TMI. My mentor asked me for my open-ended impressions. Usually, if people in the lab liked a candidate, they got an offer.

Thanks! That's helpful. It definitely seems like it might be easier to fall into a TMI situation with a graduate student and likely age-peer, so I'll work on steering clear, and also be ready with questions. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Between one's invitation and the actual interview, is there anything that the applicant should be asking the professor(s) or graduate students? Or should we just prepare for travels and the interview itself?

This is a purely aesthetic question about interviews... lots of talk about what to wear for females in this thread, and I've narrowed it down to a nice pair of trousers with a button up and sweater. I always wear heels with nice pants, but this interview is ALL day. I don't think I'd survive wearing heels for that long, and I want to stay away from bringing two pairs and constantly changing.

So, trousers with flats? Yes or no? Is this what most women wear to interviews?

Thanks! :)

I only wear flats or heels with a half inch heel. I'd break my neck in any thing else. I've interviewed and presented in such, it's fine.

is there any advantage to interviewing on the soonest interview date offered rather than the latest, or vice versa?

is there any advantage to interviewing on the soonest interview date offered rather than the latest, or vice versa?
I was actually wondering about that as well. I was offered an interview date (the latest one, closest to their decisions), which I thought was to my advantage. However, after talking it over with a fellow applicant, she thought that there were few enough interviewees that they should be able to remember you and it shouldn't matter when you interview.

*shrug* Guess it depends!

I don't think there is an advantage at all. My cohort is a mix of people from both interview days and one guy from his own special interview day since he couldn't make it due to other interviews. The only advantage I could think of would be if you have less people on one day than the other and you would then get the opportunity to get to know the students and professors better, but there isn't really a way of knowing that in advance with it being worth asking. Just pick the day that works best for you and has the best travel accommodations.

As long as you look professional, everything should be okay. I remember last year this thread was also a bunch of worries about what to wear.... and I found throughout my interviews that dark pants, a nice blazer/suit jacket, or suit worked nicely with some pumps/heels or flats that are nice. The only thing people noticed were those that stood out eccentrically, for instance the girl with the green dress and huge red puffer jacket, or the girl dressed like Lady Gaga. Or the girl who took off her jacket because it was hot but had a tiny camisole on underneath. Or the girl with the super strappy club heels. Any of the above, I would advise against. Otherwise, you should be good to go.

Okay so I have a few questions regarding interviews:

First, if a school offers two different interview dates, do the applicants who interview on the later dates have an advantage over those who interview on the earlier dates due to the fact that those interviewing latest will be freshest in the minds of the interviewers??

Second, how bad does it look to have to change an interview date that I originally requested to another date due to conflict with interviews? (I recently got an interview offer that only has one date while the other school that I have already schedule has multiple dates)

Third, just how much of a disadvantage do those who have to interview over the phone have compared to those who attend an in-person interview?

Thanks!!

Okay so I have a few questions regarding interviews:

First, if a school offers two different interview dates, do the applicants who interview on the later dates have an advantage over those who interview on the earlier dates due to the fact that those interviewing latest will be freshest in the minds of the interviewers??

Second, how bad does it look to have to change an interview date that I originally requested to another date due to conflict with interviews? (I recently got an interview offer that only has one date while the other school that I have already schedule has multiple dates)

Third, just how much of a disadvantage do those who have to interview over the phone have compared to those who attend an in-person interview?

Thanks!!

There are no advantages of interviewing on the first or second day of interviews. If you make an impression it will stick with the POI regardless when you interviewed,

If you have a conflict with an interview date, let the POI immediately and explain your situation. Most places will understand that you will encounter scheduling conflicts.

In-person interview is always preferable than phone interviews. There are some drawbacks with phone interviews: 1. phone interviews can be awkward at times with weird pauses and can't gauge how you're doing 2. you don't get to meet the team and make an impression with them

As long as you look professional, everything should be okay. I remember last year this thread was also a bunch of worries about what to wear.... and I found throughout my interviews that dark pants, a nice blazer/suit jacket, or suit worked nicely with some pumps/heels or flats that are nice. The only thing people noticed were those that stood out eccentrically, for instance the girl with the green dress and huge red puffer jacket, or the girl dressed like Lady Gaga. Or the girl who took off her jacket because it was hot but had a tiny camisole on underneath. Or the girl with the super strappy club heels. Any of the above, I would advise against. Otherwise, you should be good to go.

The thought of someone showing up at an interview dressed like Lady Gaga is very amusing. I'd really have to question their judgement if I was the interviewer. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I chose to interview early with my POI, because the POI told me that this earlier time is strongly preferred. However, I will be missing scheduled activities, including an info meeting and a party with grad students.

I've read on this forum that this can be bad, because those interviewing at the later time will have had time to "bond" with the graduate students. I am still lodging with a student the day/night before, though.

Did I make a huge mistake by not deciding to come on the later date? :confused:

I chose to interview early with my POI, because the POI told me that this earlier time is strongly preferred. However, I will be missing scheduled activities, including an info meeting and a party with grad students.

I've read on this forum that this can be bad, because those interviewing at the later time will have had time to "bond" with the graduate students. I am still lodging with a student the day/night before, though.

whatever will be, will be. I wouldn't over-think this. Concentrate on being prepared, which is most important.

I'd say that if the POI told you he/she strongly prefers the earlier date, you should be content with having chosen the earlier date. Ultimately, even at places where grad students have significant input into admissions decisions, the POI is the one who gives you the offer.

Besides, you're still staying with a student, which should be ample opportunity to get to know him/her and whoever else might be around when you're interviewing.

I have my first interview coming up next week... I'm a 'non-traditional' student (older, coming from another profession). I'm at an age where it might be reasonable for a POI to wonder about work-life conflicts. Am I likely to face any 'curve-ball' personal questions?

Other than looking into professors' current work, what should one do to prepare for an interview? Email grad students for tips? Ask for a grant proposal? I'd appreciate any advice!

After submitting my applications, I have had some revisions to my CV that include: receiving an "outstanding" graduate award when graduating this last winter, and picking up a job where I administer evidence-based treatments to individuals with Developmental Disorders.

While I plan on bringing copies of my updated CV to the interview, should I e-mail this to my POI before the interview, and if so how much time before?

Cheers!

I'm not sure if this has been asked, but I was wondering how one should respectfully decline an interview or request another date/phone interview? I have a couple of conflicts where the interview date is the same :(. I have already decided which one to go to, but the other program is also a top choice, and I don't want them to think my non-attendance is a reflection of a lack of enthusiasm for the program.

Also, would not attending the set interview date hurt my chances of admission (even though it was stated that it is not required to go to the interview weekend)?

I would try to say what you just said. That you are excited about the interview, but unfortunately you have made a prior commitment to interview elsewhere and that it is not indicative of your "lack of enthusiasm" for said school (you can't be expected to decline other interviews in the off chance that you may receive one from another school). Ask if there is another date or if a telephone/Skype interview is appropriate. Most schools are experienced in dealing with this situation as it comes up every year. They should have a plan in place for this situation. Furthermore, if a school is not accommodating now you may want to consider if that is the type of program you really want to be going to anyway. Good Luck!

I would try to say what you just said. That you are excited about the interview, but unfortunately you have made a prior commitment to interview elsewhere and that it is not indicative of your "lack of enthusiasm" for said school (you can't be expected to decline other interviews in the off chance that you may receive one from another school). Ask if there is another date or if a telephone/Skype interview is appropriate. Most schools are experienced in dealing with this situation as it comes up every year. They should have a plan in place for this situation. Furthermore, if a school is not accommodating now you may want to consider if that is the type of program you really want to be going to anyway. Good Luck!

Thanks for the help! I was thinking along the same lines.

In Insider's Guide, the section about interviewing mentioned the importance of "Clinical Potentials" in interview. I wonder, what exactly are they looking for?

So I have an interview this week, and I have 2 group interviews in front of a panel. One panel is just doctoral students, so that shouldn't be so bad, but the other one is in front of all the faculty (approx 7 of them). I was wondering if anyone had some good ideas of questions to ask a faculty panel. My POI is on the faculty panel of course, so it's a bit odd because I don't want to repeat questions whenever he personally interviews me.

So far for the panel my question topics are along these lines:
Collaboration? Qual exams? Internship placement sites? Practicum start? Populations to do clinical work with?

I feel like I don't have enough questions to go off of, and I'm sure some of these will get answered in the information session before all the interviews start. Thoughts?

So I have an interview this week, and I have 2 group interviews in front of a panel. One panel is just doctoral students, so that shouldn't be so bad, but the other one is in front of all the faculty (approx 7 of them). I was wondering if anyone had some good ideas of questions to ask a faculty panel. My POI is on the faculty panel of course, so it's a bit odd because I don't want to repeat questions whenever he personally interviews me.

Collaboration? Qual exams? Internship placement sites? Practicum start? Populations to do clinical work with?

I feel like I don't have enough questions to go off of, and I'm sure some of these will get answered in the information session before all the interviews start. Thoughts?

I wouldn't ask about quals. At my school half the faculty are into it and half think they're stupid. Plus, that shouldn't be a consideration for where you want to go. Ask about things like how clinical training is structured and external practicum placements. Think of it as interviewing them to make sure the school can prepare you well to get an internship.

Other than looking into professors' current work, what should one do to prepare for an interview? Email grad students for tips? Ask for a grant proposal? I'd appreciate any advice!

I would advise against just reciting what research of theirs you like or have read. Ask about how students are involved in the process and use your knowledge of the professor's research to pitch why it would help you meet your goals.

Don't email the grad students. Don't ask for anything extra (i.e. grant proposal). The most important things about interviews are 1) showing that you're a good fit with the lab and 2) showing your personality.

I would advise against just reciting what research of theirs you like or have read. Ask about how students are involved in the process and use your knowledge of the professor's research to pitch why it would help you meet your goals.

Don't email the grad students. Don't ask for anything extra (i.e. grant proposal). The most important things about interviews are 1) showing that you're a good fit with the lab and 2) showing your personality.

“use your knowledge of the professor's research to pitch why it would help you meet your goals.”

Thanks. What do you mean by this sentence? any details?

And how do they assess whether you are a good fit with the lab? research interests?

I wouldn't ask about quals. At my school half the faculty are into it and half think they're stupid. Plus, that shouldn't be a consideration for where you want to go. Ask about things like how clinical training is structured and external practicum placements. Think of it as interviewing them to make sure the school can prepare you well to get an internship.

Thanks for the insight. I'll reevaluate asking about quals.. I had just seen that question pop up a couple of times in example question lists. Do you have any better suggestions of questions to pose towards a panel of faculty?

I definitely agree with #2. I am a graduate student, and at this point, if you are invited to interview, we think you look good on paper. Alot at this point is really personality fit, as well as the ability to articulate all the things you put in your personal statement. Alot of us student hosts have encountered some real doozies as far as applicants go in the past, with regards to inappropriate/bizzare interview behavior. Remember you are being interviewed from the moment we pick you up at the airport until the moment we drop you back off. And, yes we all get together and let our mentor know about how you behaved during the student only activities.

I think the best way to prepare for interviews is to have a script for the answers to possible questions you may be asked. To appear prepared, practice public speaking, practice interviewing with friends/family/a career center, etc.

About your question - questions for the faculty is more to make you seem interested and to not say anything that makes you stand out in a bad way. So I'd ask more general questions about the program but something that hasn't been asked yet: How does the faculty/student mentoring work? Are most students from the area? What are most students in this program final career goals? Is this more research or practice oriented? Is there an onsite clinic? Practicum questions and internship questions usually aren't the best, they aren't bad, but they are far in to the distant future, even as a first year student I am kind of laughed at whenever I bring it up now to professors - that I am thinking too far ahead. So worry about things that will hugely effect whether you want to go to the school and whether it is a good fit for you.

After submitting my applications, I have had some revisions to my CV that include: receiving an "outstanding" graduate award when graduating this last winter, and picking up a job where I administer evidence-based treatments to individuals with Developmental Disorders.

While I plan on bringing copies of my updated CV to the interview, should I e-mail this to my POI before the interview, and if so how much time before?

Cheers!

This is a tricky question - you don't want to seem like you are bragging and you don't want to be an extra burden either. You have two options: email the program director mentioning there are recent edits to your resume and attach it to the email OR politely bring them up during interviews. I would advise on the second one personally because I don't like to be a burden and there is always the chance it doesn't get added to your file anyways. During interview they may ask about recent research or experiences and then you could jump in about the award.

This is a tricky question - you don't want to seem like you are bragging and you don't want to be an extra burden either. You have two options: email the program director mentioning there are recent edits to your resume and attach it to the email OR politely bring them up during interviews. I would advise on the second one personally because I don't like to be a burden and there is always the chance it doesn't get added to your file anyways. During interview they may ask about recent research or experiences and then you could jump in about the award.

Great, thank you for your insight on the matter. I think I am going to go with the latter of your ideas as well. Another thing is that the POI or DCT might completely forget it by the time I have the interview vs. having some accomplishments to make me stand out among the other applicants they may be interviewing.

Cheers!

“use your knowledge of the professor's research to pitch why it would help you meet your goals.”

Thanks. What do you mean by this sentence? any details?

And how do they assess whether you are a good fit with the lab? research interests?

For example, does the POI do clinical trials, questionnaire based research, lab studies, intervention development, etc. By fit I mean that their type of research matches your goals. I found that my best interview was when I was able to ask informed questions about how a given research trial was constructed and what my role would be. As has been mentioned elsewhere, personality also goes a long way toward fit with a lab.

I am in a difficult position and was wondering if anyone could give me their input? I have been extended an interview offer to school X in which I confirmed attended.I was subsequently extended an offer for interview weekend at school Y. School Y ranks much higher than school X on my personal list of where I want to go, fits with my orientation and interests, and has a better reputation. School X is one of my bottom choices because my research interests only slightly overlap with the POI who extended the interview. The dilemma is that I have already confirmed with school X that I will be going. In addition, the POI has been extremely nice (we had a pre-phone interview) and even offered travel funds.

Would reversing my decision to go to the interview at school X ruin all chances of acceptance? Would it be frowned upon to tell the POI that I can't come to the interview anymore? I don't want to burn bridges but I also want what's best for my future. Any opinion on my situation is greatly appreciated!

I am in a difficult position and was wondering if anyone could give me their input? I have been extended an interview offer to school X in which I confirmed attended.I was subsequently extended an offer for interview weekend at school Y. School Y ranks much higher than school X on my personal list of where I want to go, fits with my orientation and interests, and has a better reputation. School X is one of my bottom choices because my research interests only slightly overlap with the POI who extended the interview. The dilemma is that I have already confirmed with school X that I will be going. In addition, the POI has been extremely nice (we had a pre-phone interview) and even offered travel funds.

Would reversing my decision to go to the interview at school X ruin all chances of acceptance? Would it be frowned upon to tell the POI that I can't come to the interview anymore? I don't want to burn bridges but I also want what's best for my future. Any opinion on my situation is greatly appreciated!

I'm running into this problem too. I have THREE dates that conflict with multiple interviews (not that I'm complaining, really- better multiple on same day than none!). I just wish they would spread them out!

I would love to hear responses to this from current grad students/more experienced applicants. What is proper protocol?

I wouldn't cancel your attendance with X if you can help it. This process is competitive enough without shooting yourself in the foot. Let Y know there is a conflict, that you are still SUPER interested, and see whether or not there is a way to reschedule/Skype/phone it in. They already think you are worth their time and are interested in taking you on as a student, and they understand that there may be conflicts. Worst case scenario, I would try and reschedule with X so that you could meet everyone at Y, make a good impression, get a feel for the campus, etc.

I can't say what would be best for you, and you already seem to have an idea of how canceling could reflect you poorly. But, more than likely either school will be understanding.

As a graduate student, I'll give you my opinion. If you already accepted an interview at X, it will look bad if you back out now. Think of it from our (X's) perspective... obviously we now know that we are your second choice, so why put in extra effort to accomodate someone that probably wouldn't accept our offer anyways? Especially when we have several other applicants that have almost the same credentials as you. It's your personal call as to whether it is worth completely giving up a chance for X in order to go to Y's interview day.

I personally would let Y know that you already commited to another interview, and see if they are flexible. This has happened with some applicants to my program, and my mentor respects those applicants alot for not ditching out on another commitment. My mentor is willing to work out phone interviews/alternate days with applicants who already had another commitment. However, when applicants cancel on us after already accepting our interview, it pretty much kills their chances.

I don't know how every mentor would view this situation though.

Lava12345 and Chuckdanger - Thank you so much for your opinions. It gave me a more objective view on my situation, especially the point about school X viewing my decision as a sign that they are second choice.

I understand that backing out on school X would look really bad from the school's perspective. I just hope that school Y doesn't think that THEY are second choice to school X (which they are not). Another reason why I had been contemplating on reversing my interview decision was because I believed that I would have a hard time justifying spending a $2000 plane ticket to school X if I am unlikely to go there in the first place, wheras spending $2000 to visit the campus and atmosphere of school Y seems more justified if I am more inclined to attend this program if I am accepted. Also, I feel that I would be at a disadvantage compared to applicants who are going to the interview weekend at school Y.

Lava12345 and Chuckdanger - Thank you so much for your opinions. It gave me a more objective view on my situation, especially the point about school X viewing my decision as a sign that they are second choice.

I understand that backing out on school X would look really bad from the school's perspective. I just hope that school Y doesn't think that THEY are second choice to school X (which they are not). Another reason why I had been contemplating on reversing my interview decision was because I believed that I would have a hard time justifying spending a $2000 plane ticket to school X if I am unlikely to go there in the first place, wheras spending $2000 to visit the campus and atmosphere of school Y seems more justified if I am more inclined to attend this program if I am accepted. Also, I feel that I would be at a disadvantage compared to applicants who are going to the interview weekend at school Y.

wow $2000 is alot for a plane ticket! I think you probably would be better off going to school Y with your personal circumstances, but know that X would be pretty much off the table.

wow $2000 is alot for a plane ticket! I think you probably would be better off going to school Y with your personal circumstances, but know that X would be pretty much off the table.

Oh the unfortunate costs of being international! School Y said that they can arrange for a phone interview, and I confirmed with them today to do the phone interviews instead. I'd still rather be going to school Y, but I can't entertain the thought of killing off my chances with X just like that. Who knows, maybe I will love everything about school X once I go?

Thanks again for your input :)!

Hi, I have an interview tomorrow - I know this question is last minute!
Some people have mentioned bringing lots of copies of their CV to the interviews. Should I hand a copy to the professor when I walk in the door to meet with them one-on-one? Should I just leave the copy at the end? Who else should I offer one to?
Thanks!

I brought a few copies to my interviews, but to my recollection no one really asked for it. I feel that most of the applications these days have space to put a CV or all of the information that would be contained in a CV. My advice would be to bring enough copies for all of the professors you may interview with (probably less than 5), however understand that many of them either already have the info from your application, or will not ask you for a CV. Bringing it along, does make a nice reference for you as you interview. You can sneak peeks at it or review it between interviews to help you remember the points you want to emphasize. Good Luck!

I have been reading through this thread and I haven't seen anything that pertains to grouop interviews. Does anyone have any experience with that type of an interview process?

In addition to an updated CV, should we bring copies of our thesis just in case?

In addition to an updated CV, should we bring copies of our thesis just in case?

Is your thesis published already? My manuscript is in the process of being reviewed by a journal, but I know my thesis supervisor would still be really upset with me if I revealed all of our hypotheses and results to other researchers in the field. Be careful of how much information you give. Plus, I'm not sure that the interviewers would want to read 40-50 pgs during the interview. Perhaps you can bring copies of the abstract?

Oh the unfortunate costs of being international! School Y said that they can arrange for a phone interview, and I confirmed with them today to do the phone interviews instead. I'd still rather be going to school Y, but I can't entertain the thought of killing off my chances with X just like that. Who knows, maybe I will love everything about school X once I go?

Thanks again for your input :)!

I have to say...it's rather unreasonable for a school to ask you to pay $2000 for an interview with large competition.

I interviewed at a school with more than 10 people, individually...
I found it a little stressful generating personal thank you emails after interviews, which may not even mean anything. I don't know.
I guess it's still better safe than sorry huh?
But kind of painful.

I have to say...it's rather unreasonable for a school to ask you to pay $2000 for an interview with large competition.

Well...they are not forcing me to go. Nor did I tell them the cost of going to the interview. Do you think if I told them they would be willing to chip in for my flight :D? Although if they do that I would feel guilty if I end up declining them in the end (assuming that they accept me). The conflict between my behaviours of spending so much to go to the interview and my thinking that I don't rank this school very highly will surely result in cognitive dissonance for me.

Hey guys!

I've just been offered admission at one of the programs I interviewed with :D:D:D. However, I still have two more interviews ahead of me. How do I respond to their acceptance email without sounding like I'm keeping them as a backup?

Thanks ahead of time :)