Questions about Letters of Rec (and some other things)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPSmyth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior planning on taking my MCAT and applying in May 2016. I know that I need one non-science letter of rec, which I am asking my foreign language professor for. Since I took their class this semester, and I doubt they will remember specifics about me when the time comes to apply, I am asking for a letter now. But how does this work? Do I have them write it then send it to me? then when the time comes I send it back to them so they can submit it to AMCAS? How did you guys go about this process?

Also quick question. I have about 100 volunteer hours right now split between two hospital departments spread out over about 2 years while I was on break between semesters. How many hours do schools generally like to see?

Also, I plan on shadowing an MD and a DO. When discussing with them, how many hours should I shoot to shadow them for? I don't want to ask too much but I don't want my experience to be seen as insignificant by ADCOMs

Thanks for any input

Members don't see this ad.

Look into Interfolio

quality>quantity, be able to speak about it

see above. also ask the physician themselves politely how long the observation experience will be.

Yes they can write it now and you can upload it to interfolio until you apply.

100 hours isn't bad, but at the same time more is generally better. I wouldn't stress about this though, you have "enough".

Shoot for about 75-100 total hours shadowing, spread between a couple of different specialties.