Questions about Letters of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalstudent334

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'll be applying this year and had a couple questions regarding the letter of recs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

1. What is your opinion on asking for letters of rec from professors who you've worked with, but not necessarily have been in a class with? For instance, I've been working as a chem/o-chem lab TA for the past two years and have gotten to know two lab professors really well. They do teach chemistry courses at my university but I just have never been in them. Will this deter from an ideal LOR for the adcoms?

What kinds of letters of rec are dental schools looking for exactly? Those that can attest to my personality and life goals or those that can write on my performance in a classroom, asking questions, going to them for help etc.

2. Also, should i ask a professor who I've gotten a c+ in but that I know pretty well through office hours and talking in class? Although I did get a c+, I received a b+ in another one of her classes the next quarter.

3. Regarding the app itself, when I'm applying to certain schools, do they allow me to pick which LOR to send to which school? For instance, could I submit evaluator a & b to this particular school and evaluator c & d to another school. How does that work?

Any thoughts/ideas would be great. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. What is your opinion on asking for letters of rec from professors who you've worked with, but not necessarily have been in a class with? For instance, I've been working as a chem/o-chem lab TA for the past two years and have gotten to know two lab professors really well. They do teach chemistry courses at my university but I just have never been in them. Will this deter from an ideal LOR for the adcoms?

One of my strongest letters is from a research professor who I have worked with. I think it is okay as long as they know who you are and what kind of person you are. But I do recommend to have one professor who have taught you in classes.

2. Also, should i ask a professor who I've gotten a c+ in but that I know pretty well through office hours and talking in class? Although I did get a c+, I received a b+ in another one of her classes the next quarter.

I personally wouldn't recommend doing that. What good things can they say about you (academic wise) when you did not even ace the class? It is definitely my personal opinion so I could be REALLY wrong. But one of my professors did say that he wouldn't recommend someone to anywhere if he or she did not did well in his class. They ARE taking their name to write you a recommendation.

3. Regarding the app itself, when I'm applying to certain schools, do they allow me to pick which LOR to send to which school? For instance, could I submit evaluator a & b to this particular school and evaluator c & d to another school. How does that work?

I am unsure to answer this question. I am actually in the same boat!

Again, this is my personal opinion so I am not certain!

1. No, they only care about the quality of letters.

2. Ask her if she will be willing to write a good letter for you and ask if she would be willing to let you see it before she sends it. If not, probably not.

3. No, the letters you pick get sent to every school and you are limited to 4 letters.