Questions about my prerequisites grades and podiatry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xtra123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I consistently get B’s on my prerequisites courses for some reason. Not to sure if i'm studying wrong or just not smart enough to pull A's. I put in at least 30-40 hours a week studying for all my classes.

I attend a top 50 university if that even matters.
My grades so far for the prerequisites courses.
Bio 1/2- B/B
Chem 1/2- B+/ B
Physics 1/2- B+/B
Calc 1/2 – A/A
Orgo 1- C+
Genetics- B-
Non Science courses- A- to A's

Should I continue to pursue podiatry?
Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

Keep on keepin on. Keep working hard at you will get in and finish podiatry school.

To answer one of your questions, I think studying smarter and not harder would be a good idea for you, but these are not bad grades. Organic chem is low, but if your Organic chem 2 is a B I wouldn't worry. Just try for A's the rest of your degree and I would think you'd be good with a respectable MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If it helps I struggled to get A's in undergrad as a matter of fact, your grades look a lot like mine. When I entered podiatry school I was really motivated (plus a little stress really amps up the gear). I was really able to improve my grades in podiatry school. Keep pushing yourself the schools were really impressed with my last year in undergrad they saw how motivated I was. Don't ever tell yourself that you are not smart enough, the only limit you have is the one YOU set. If you have a passion for the field, then of course you should still pursue it! IF this is the case, it will show in your interview process. Best of luck!

I'm confused if your question is "I'm considering pod, will these grades get me into pod school?" or "I'm definitely pursuing pod - will my grades now affect my performance in pod school?

If it's a field you're still considering, shadow a doc to see if you like podiatry and it's a field you could be happy with.

Your grades are great, and if you do decent on the MCAT + shadowing, + extracurriculars and do well on the interviews you should get in everywhere.

I got mostly As/A-s in college, didn't do so well on MCAT. Still got into all the schools, but my fear of failure was present throughout my first semester of podiatry school. I was so stressed out all the time, and constantly afraid of bombing exams.
I ended up figuring out better study methods that were more effective for me. I did this by getting tutors, going to office hours, working in study groups, and improving my study discipline habits. Thankfully it paid off! :soexcited: I wish you the best of luck in finding what works for you.

Reactions: 1 users
To quote an MD Internal Med who's been in practice for 15 years that I shadowed last week- "Are you a people person? Did you ever have trouble relating to someone or talking to them? Then you'll be fine. Don't worry about academics. Just work hard."