Questions about NYC programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewPsych123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two questions, one about Columbia and one about Cornell:

Did anyone get the sense (or has anyone heard the rumor) that Columbia psychiatry was malignant?

Did anyone come away with the feeling that the residents at Cornell psychiatry were a little more stuffy than at some other residency programs? Also, I have heard through the grapevine that historically, many of them are unhappy. Did anyone sense either of these two things?

Members don't see this ad.

Two questions, one about Columbia and one about Cornell:

Did anyone get the sense (or has anyone heard the rumor) that Columbia psychiatry was malignant?

Did anyone come away with the feeling that the residents at Cornell psychiatry were a little more stuffy than at some other residency programs? Also, I have heard through the grapevine that historically, many of them are unhappy. Did anyone sense either of these two things?

I've heard both of these things but didn't get an overwheming sense of either of these rumors during my visits.

They beat the residents daily at Columbia.

They feed them gruel at Cornell.

Stay away, so that the masochists can have a chance at matching ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
They beat the residents daily at Columbia.

They feed them gruel at Cornell.

Stay away, so that the masochists can have a chance at matching ;)

[youtube="j30d4Vx1-ss"]Life at Cornell[/youtube]

Last edited:
I had heard rumors about Cornell being stuffy, but that wasn't really my impression at all. The residents seemed like a really warm and genuine group of people. The program director also seemed extremely nice and easy to talk to.... I did have one faculty interviewer who was a little unfriendly, but maybe she just didn't like me:scared: I hope not, though, because I loved Cornell:love:

I posted my thoughts on this in the interview review thread if you haven't seen them.