Questions about pre-reqs for nontrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andtimeyet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I've used the trusty search function and came up lacking on these specific questions, so I apologize in advance if this is a rehash of old posts.

My course schedule is looking like it will be something similar to this:
summer term 1, 2015- Bio 1 & Chem 1
summer term 2, 2015- Bio 2 & Chem 2
fall 2015-O Chem 1
spring 2016- O Chem 2
summer term 1, 2016- Physics 1
summer term 2, 2016- Physics 2
fall 2016 & spring 2017- MCAT and/or extra BCMP classes (I assume if I can come up with the money it's always better to take extra classes)
Hopefully with an acceptance to a school in fall 2017

Does this seem doable? Or should I space things out more? I'd really prefer the summer intensive load simply because I don't work in the summer, so I could devote myself to just studying for class.

And, finally, one last question about ECs. I plan to continue working. Would this be considered an EC when I apply, or just a work experience?

Thank you so much for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Doubling up on summer classes seems a little intense to me, but I don't have any experience with that so :shrug:
Otherwise- take classes as you can to get it all in, what you've got here seems fine to me.

Barring a few exceptions (i.e. Brown has a 10 yr limit) there typically aren't expiration dates for pre-reqs. So long as you can prove you remember the material through the MCAT, they tend to take them.

The terminology can sometimes get muddled here, but teaching could fall under either the "EC" or "work experience" label, as well as a few others. In any case, you would list it in the Work/Activities section on AMCAS/AACOMAS, just as you would with any other job or shadowing or non-academic (i.e. not you as a student, in class) activity. I marked my teaching experiences as "employment" in my app, since I was paid to do it, but there is also space for a description that you can use to give more info and adcoms can classify it as they like. As non-trads, many of us have activities that cover more than one base. So when you get to that point, just pick the category that best fits and let it go.

So you're planning on doubling up on science classes during the summer? That's a very challenging endeavor that you're taking on. I've taken physics during the summer and at times felt overwhelmed with the accelerated pace of the course. It felt as though the professor was just trying to get through the material and was at times not concerned with finding out if the entire class actually understood the material. I barely passed with a C+ and ended up retaking the course the following semester.

From my personal experience, I'd caution against taking two summer science classes at once. I know it's tempting to speed through everything, but you'll regret it in the end if you wind up with a grade that you'll be unhappy with. I'd suggest taking either chem or bio but not both together during their summer term offerings.

Since inorganic chemistry is a common prerequisite for organic chemistry, you may consider taking the first 2 sequences of inorganic chemistry during the summer and then taking organic and biology in the fall and spring terms. Followed with the physics schedule that you have picked out.

If you decide to go ahead with your previous schedule of doubling up on science classes, then you should be able to answer the following questions: how comfortable do you feel with the accelerated pace of summer classes and do you have an effective study schedule in place? Taking science classes in the summer is no joke. You'll be responsible for learning the material, preparing for exams, completing labs and their accompanying lab reports. You're expected to complete an entire semester's worth of work in a 6 week time frame.

Really take the time to let that sink in and be honest with yourself. If you're not driven, are a procrastinator, haven't figured out an efficient/effective study method, then maybe doubling up on summer science classes shouldn't be the route you take. With regard to your other questions, barring a few schools there aren't many schools that I can think of off the top of my head that have an expiration date for pre-reqs. I won't be filling out my AACOMAs until next year but any experience in which I received compensation will be listed as work experience and anything else that I wasn't paid for will go down as ECs i.e. club activities, volunteering etc. I've decided that for me, this will be the easiest way to approach the application process.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I would second the above: double up in the fall and not in the summer. Some people can do it and be fine, but others struggle. You need to be 100% sure you can pulls A's in both.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will try to see if I can take at least one class next semester to make the summer semester easier on me.

You need to apply summer 2016 to start medical school in fall 2017. Most (if not all) MD schools will not accept an MCAT later than the early/mid-August one. DO schools tend to have later deadlines, so perhaps taking the MCAT in fall 2016 and starting school may be possible for some DO schools. Check with the schools directly.

Unless you can adjust your schedule to where you can complete your pre-reqs before summer 2016, prepare for and take the MCAT that summer and obtain a competitive score, and apply the same summer, I'd be aiming for fall 2018.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@whatbout2morrow thanks for the clarification. I somehow managed to get my application year confused lol I will probably be applying to matriculate in 2018.

Seems like you've caught a case of "hurry up and apply" itis!!

Remember you can't get too many A+ grades, but you can get too few!

I wouldn't worry about what year you get accepted because one thing is sure: you'll go when you get accepted!.....that being said...get as many As as you can.

I'm currently doubled up in 2 science courses plus labs during the school year plus 2 non science classes but I also don't work. Huge difference.

Good advise above.

@Rocketdog, thanks for the advice. I am definitely feeling like I want to apply sooner than later, so I think I'm going to take it slow at first with pre-reqs to get out of that mindset and make sure I can get good grades.