Questions about reapplying (need help asap)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shrister

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't see why not. Idk much about Cali schools but I personally think you're still in the running.

However schools will see that you have been accepted to dental school before. Be prepared to have a proper explanation for the misunderstanding.

Reactions: 1 user
First of all, that sucks. Bad.

I think you need to be very, very careful about exactly what and how you disclose regarding your infraction.

Personally, I would be transparent about the initial infraction when applying again. State what happened and what you've learned from your mistake(s).

When you answer the question regarding the previous acceptance, I am under the impression that any dental schools that are serious about you will contact the previous dental school's adcom and ask why they rescinded your app. Therefore, I think you have to be transparent again about the failure to list your previous infraction.

Frankly, I think you've dug yourself a big hole. In addition to the infraction, you're likely now viewed as a liar to many adcoms for your failure to disclose. In my opinion, you're really going to have to do a lot of damage control if you want to be seriously considered again, especially by the school that accepted you last cycle. I would make appointments with dental school representatives and ask their opinion as well.

Again, this is all my opinion, so take it as you will.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For the part of having my application rescinded, I will explain that I received ill advice from my attorney who represented me, but in the end answering the question incorrectly was my mistake and I take full responsibility for it. I learned that these questions are extremely serious in nature, and I know that I should address them honestly, and with the seriousness they deserve. My failure to disclose my background costs me my acceptance, and this is a mistake I will not make again.

As for the actual infraction case, thats where things are confusing. It is my only thing on the record, but the problem is that originally the charge was a misdemeanor, which then was reduced to an infraction. On AADSAS, it only asks if I have been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony, which I have NOT. How do I be honest here without giving information that is not asked of me?

So I hear possible lawsuit??

Ring ring ring

"Young bright student accepted to DS, but denied entry! Due to an infraction, and not a conviction which was initially asked for"

So, is there no appeal process with the school? If you were not convicted of a misdemeanor then you should be able to answer no. I had a reckless driving and failure to report an accident on my record that I disclosed. I just wrote about how I was 16, I pleaded guilty (I also spent some time figuring out whether to use plead or pleaded) and took responsibility for my actions, completed my community service etc. I tried to show that I learned from it, that I was remorseful and I had not been in trouble since. Did not come up in my interviews.

So, is there no appeal process with the school? If you were not convicted of a misdemeanor then you should be able to answer no. I had a reckless driving and failure to report an accident on my record that I disclosed. I just wrote about how I was 16, I pleaded guilty (I also spent some time figuring out whether to use plead or pleaded) and took responsibility for my actions, completed my community service etc. I tried to show that I learned from it, that I was remorseful and I had not been in trouble since. Did not come up in my interviews.

Unfortunately, it would seem that the status acceptance and enrollment are all at the dental school's discretion. To the school, attending their school is a privilege. You're not entitled to the offer and they can rescind their offer or dismiss you from their program at any time, for any number of reasons.

OP, Good thing you found out now instead of 3 years down the road, AFTER you have paid them 3 years of tuition and time.

So I hear possible lawsuit??

Ring ring ring

"Young bright student accepted to DS, but denied entry! Due to an infraction, and not a conviction which was initially asked for"

ok the way you comment is pretty funny in the beginning but it gets annoying.

please stop it. grow up man. ur comment contributes nothing to solving the problem or helping the discussion.

Reactions: 7 users
Also, what does OP stand for?

Original phatass.

I would mention it if they would find out anyway. However, explain your story but obviously don't tell them the whole story.. You screwed yourself and this may be your downfall since you aren't that competitive candidate to begin with.

Last edited:
I had an infraction that I didn't disclose and the school found out when they did the background check. They gave me an opportunity to explain. I did. I am still going to be a Buckeye. I'm surprised they didn't give you a chance to explain. I will say that I did legitimately forget...it was from 18 years ago when I was going through a nasty divorce and custody battle and my ex had me arrested or tresspassing when I went to pick up my daughter. That led to a resisting arrest charge....they judge told me it would be expuged if I was clean for 6 months so I figured it wasn;t onmy record...I was wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Original phatass.

I would mention it if they would find out anyway. However, explain your story but obviously don't tell them the whole story.. You screwed yourself and this may be your downfall since you aren't that competitive candidate to begin with.

Which part screwed me over? The part that one school rescinded my acceptance or that I have an infraction to begin with?

I think I'm semi competitive for some schools. But this thread isn't about me arguing. I just want to hear your opinions and advice.

Which part screwed me over? The part that one school rescinded my acceptance or that I have an infraction to begin with?

I think I'm semi competitive for some schools. But this thread isn't about me arguing. I just want to hear your opinions and advice.

The fact that your acceptance got rescinded because you lied. Infraction already may hurt you a bit, but a lie to the extent that a school you rescind an acceptance is gonna be like kicking you when you are down. It will be your decision whether or not to reveal that you were accepted before.

I'm sure they didn't care about yours because for most charges, 7 years passing is enough time for it to not hurt anymore.

Oh, they cared. They said if they didn't like/accept my explanation they would rescind my acceptance. Here is word for word what I wrote to them:

I received notification from XXXXX that there was a non-clear area on my background check that I had not disclosed. I apologize for this error. To be completely honest, as you can see from the date of the offense, it happened over twenty years ago and I had completely forgotten about it. Please let me explain the circumstances surrounding these charges.

When I was 15 I had a daughter. Her father was not an especially nice man. During the time frame that this incidence occurred I was in the process of leaving him. When I was at work one day he came by her babysitters house and picked her up without my knowledge or permission. At this time there was not a custody agreement on file. He took her to one of his friend’s house. I went to the place where he had her and we got into a heated argument. The police were called. When the police arrived they told me that if I did not leave they would arrest me for trespassing. As a mother I was not going to leave my two year old daughter in a place where I knew there were drugs and alcohol being consumed. When I did not leave, I was arrested. This is the arrest for Criminal Trespass.

When the officer put the handcuffs on me I became more upset, and because he did not put them on me tightly, I was able to take one of my wrists out of the handcuffs. This is the Interference with Official Acts.

Both of these occurred over twenty years ago. After this incidence I was awarded full custody of my child. Since then I have married a wonderful man who adopted her. She is now twenty three years old and pursuing a degree in accounting. I have not even talked with her biological father in over 15 years. Never before and never after this event have I been in any sort of trouble with the law.

I hope that my memory lapse will not keep me from attending your school. I humbly ask that you can forgive my oversight.

Thank you for your time. If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

And their reply:
My heart aches. I can’t imagine. I have two children and the thought of what you described just made me cringe. I thank you for clarifying this. We will add this to your file and move your Certiphi along. Thank you for your prompt reply.

So I guess it is up to the institution on the reasons why?

Reactions: 6 users
I have to reveal that I was accepted before, AADSAS asks if I've been accepted before
Oh, they cared. They said if they didn't like/accept my explanation they would rescind my acceptance. Here is word for word what I wrote to them:

I received notification from XXXXX that there was a non-clear area on my background check that I had not disclosed. I apologize for this error. To be completely honest, as you can see from the date of the offense, it happened over twenty years ago and I had completely forgotten about it. Please let me explain the circumstances surrounding these charges.

When I was 15 I had a daughter. Her father was not an especially nice man. During the time frame that this incidence occurred I was in the process of leaving him. When I was at work one day he came by her babysitters house and picked her up without my knowledge or permission. At this time there was not a custody agreement on file. He took her to one of his friend’s house. I went to the place where he had her and we got into a heated argument. The police were called. When the police arrived they told me that if I did not leave they would arrest me for trespassing. As a mother I was not going to leave my two year old daughter in a place where I knew there were drugs and alcohol being consumed. When I did not leave, I was arrested. This is the arrest for Criminal Trespass.

When the officer put the handcuffs on me I became more upset, and because he did not put them on me tightly, I was able to take one of my wrists out of the handcuffs. This is the Interference with Official Acts.

Both of these occurred over twenty years ago. After this incidence I was awarded full custody of my child. Since then I have married a wonderful man who adopted her. She is now twenty three years old and pursuing a degree in accounting. I have not even talked with her biological father in over 15 years. Never before and never after this event have I been in any sort of trouble with the law.

I hope that my memory lapse will not keep me from attending your school. I humbly ask that you can forgive my oversight.

Thank you for your time. If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

And their reply:
My heart aches. I can’t imagine. I have two children and the thought of what you described just made me cringe. I thank you for clarifying this. We will add this to your file and move your Certiphi along. Thank you for your prompt reply.

So I guess it is up to the institution on the reasons why?

Your story obviously would be acceptable to basically any adcom. His story, I assume, were not up to par. Thanks for sharing a rather personal story.

Last edited:
Idk what your infraction was about, but I know someone that got in pretty big trouble with the law and was still allowed entrance to dental school. not sharing it may hurt you in the 2nd cycle, but if you truly learned from your mistake and explain how you've grown since then, i think you're still competitive. just be genuine and honest man!

Hey guys,

I had the unfortunate situation of having my acceptance to dental school rescinded because I did not disclose my background, an infraction, during the application phase. It was an honest mistake, but what's done is done. Please don't spend time lecturing me here, I know I made the mistake.

My question is will this hurt me when I reapply to all dental schools? On aadsas I know it asks if I've ever been accepted to dental school before. How do I answer that? Obviously I won't lie and I'll put yes, but how much detail should I put into it?

Also, I have an infraction on my record. If I properly disclose everything, which I should have done last year, will I still have a shot at getting interviews? At the interview I can always explain the situation further if they ask but I want to know that with the background stuff I can still get interviews.

I need to get into school this time. I have a 22aa/22ts. Lowest score was 20 on PAT. I have low undergrad gpa (3.3 overall, 3.0 science), but I now have an MS in medical health sciences with 3.7+ gpa. I have new LOR from MS program and they specifically told me they will write a glowing LOR. I also have tons of volunteer and shadowing, and leadership role in undergrad.

What are my chances at the UOPs and UCLAs of dental school?

I appreciate your help!
I would be honest about everything and gear your personal statement about the situation and they will respect your honesty.

I would be honest about everything and gear your personal statement about the situation and they will respect your honesty.

I will 100% be honest about it. I have a strong feeling that if I was honest this past year, I would still be in school. I don't want to talk specifically about my infraction but if I were to explain it here, you all would realize it's not a big deal.

I just don't want others schools to have some "once a liar always a liar" policy. I will tell AADSAS or any secondary that asks I have been accepted before but I failed to disclose everything and the school dropped me. Hopefully they don't take it too negatively.

I will 100% be honest about it. I have a strong feeling that if I was honest this past year, I would still be in school. I don't want to talk specifically about my infraction but if I were to explain it here, you all would realize it's not a big deal.

I just don't want others schools to have some "once a liar always a liar" policy. I will tell AADSAS or any secondary that asks I have been accepted before but I failed to disclose everything and the school dropped me. Hopefully they don't take it too negatively.
I would say you need to say EVERYTHING in your statement so they know you are an open book

I would make sure you clarify exactly what you failed to disclose. Specify it was a question in a secondary application. Be honest about your understanding of the question and why you answered it the way you did.

That may or may not work, but it's the best approach.

I've had several SSBIs performed on me for clearances. It's best before the investigation starts to just lay out everything about which the investigators might care. In your case, I think a similar approach is warranted. You want to give your version of events to schools before they hear what happened from someone else. It shows you have nothing to hide and gives you an opportunity to show you learned from what happened

I would make sure you clarify exactly what you failed to disclose. Specify it was a question in a secondary application. Be honest about your understanding of the question and why you answered it the way you did.

That may or may not work, but it's the best approach.

I've had several SSBIs performed on me for clearances. It's best before the investigation starts to just lay out everything about which the investigators might care. In your case, I think a similar approach is warranted. You want to give your version of events to schools before they hear what happened from someone else. It shows you have nothing to hide and gives you an opportunity to show you learned from what happened

I will make sure to say that I incorrectly answered the question regarding if I have ever been arrested before. The honest reason I put no is because my lawyer told me to put no. Sounds like a crappy reason, so I'll add on by saying that these questions are extremely serious and I need to take full responsibility in answering these questions truthfully. If I was ever unsure, I should have directly called the school. I'll make all that sound much nicer of course.

Was the question if you were arrested, or convicted? I thought the standard AADSAS question was about convictions. Unless the conviction was expunged I would assume that answering the question incorrectly would be seen as direct dishonesty, rather than legal confusion (which is probably why they rescinded the acceptance :()

Last edited:
Curious - what does it classify the incident as on your background check - "infraction" verbatim? (I used to work as a headhunter and have seen a lot of people's background checks, just curious, I don't recall seeing that). Ok, so I actually printed my completed application last summer cuz I'm old and I like paper records and what not and it does say "AADSAS requires you to report any convictions. You may also be required to report one or more of the following... misdemeanor convictions, arrests for misdemeanors and felonies, adjudication withheld, nolo contendere, plea bargain." So if I were you, I'd check "no" to the "convicted of a felony or misdemeanor" since you were not actually convicted of the misdemeanor, but in the box below (600 characters, FYI), I'd explain. Fully. Like "Full disclosure - on x date, I was arrested and charged with a misdemeanor for x. I was officially convicted of an infraction. I have paid all fines and completed required community service. I made an incorrect decision that I deeply regret and since then I have done x, y, z good things." And for the part about explaining the lie - I mean, there isn't much to say, just to own it. I'd probably be like "I'll be honest with you, I received incorrect legal advice on how to answer that question, and I felt uncomfortable with it, but I did not seek a second opinion. There really is no excuse for me not answering that question. This is why I'm being fully transparent with you now, and I really regret the decision I made then." Etc etc.

Curious - what does it classify the incident as on your background check - "infraction" verbatim? (I used to work as a headhunter and have seen a lot of people's background checks, just curious, I don't recall seeing that). Ok, so I actually printed my completed application last summer cuz I'm old and I like paper records and what not and it does say "AADSAS requires you to report any convictions. You may also be required to report one or more of the following... misdemeanor convictions, arrests for misdemeanors and felonies, adjudication withheld, nolo contendere, plea bargain." So if I were you, I'd check "no" to the "convicted of a felony or misdemeanor" since you were not actually convicted of the misdemeanor, but in the box below (600 characters, FYI), I'd explain. Fully. Like "Full disclosure - on x date, I was arrested and charged with a misdemeanor for x. I was officially convicted of an infraction. I have paid all fines and completed required community service. I made an incorrect decision that I deeply regret and since then I have done x, y, z good things." And for the part about explaining the lie - I mean, there isn't much to say, just to own it. I'd probably be like "I'll be honest with you, I received incorrect legal advice on how to answer that question, and I felt uncomfortable with it, but I did not seek a second opinion. There really is no excuse for me not answering that question. This is why I'm being fully transparent with you now, and I really regret the decision I made then." Etc etc.

On the background check it says misdemeanor dismissed, infraction convicted. Thanks for the advice, that was very very helpful. That was my plan, to select no and then explain. The issue is that 600 characters is not enough room to explain anything!

On your printed application, what is the exact question(s) about getting accepted into dental school before? Also, how many characters do I have to answer the question there?

I will have to put short and concise explanations on AADSAS, and then for any school that has a supplemental and wants further information, I can send them the full explanation.

Was the question if you were arrested, or convicted? I thought the standard AADSAS question was about convictions. Unless the conviction was expunged I would assume that answering the question incorrectly would be seen as direct dishonesty, rather than legal confusion (which is probably why they rescinded the acceptance :()

The AADSAS question is strictly about convictions. I made the mistake on the secondary application.

On the background check it says misdemeanor dismissed, infraction convicted. Thanks for the advice, that was very very helpful. That was my plan, to select no and then explain. The issue is that 600 characters is not enough room to explain anything!

On your printed application, what is the exact question(s) about getting accepted into dental school before? Also, how many characters do I have to answer the question there?

I will have to put short and concise explanations on AADSAS, and then for any school that has a supplemental and wants further information, I can send them the full explanation.

Happy to help. There are two questions, both 600 characters max. Ok so the Y/N about applying before and then "If yes, include the name of schools to which you applied and year(s) of application. If accepted/enrolled, indicate dates of enrollment" and the second is "If yes, what has changed since your last application?"

Ok so for "if accepted/enrolled...", what do I put here. I was accepted and then denied within a month. I have no dates of enrollment. Also, where would I disclose that I made a non-disclosure mistake that led to my acceptance being rescinded? Or is that something I may have to talk about only in an interview?

This makes no sense to me. You were not convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor, why should your offer have been rescinded? Schools ask about convictions for felonies and misdemeanors, not infractions.

This makes no sense to me. You were not convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor, why should your offer have been rescinded? Schools ask about convictions for felonies and misdemeanors, not infractions.

The professors from my graduate school think I lost my acceptance because on the ATSU supplemental app, it asks if I have ever been charged with a misdemeanor or felony, which I have been but I answered no. So for essentially lying my acceptance was rescinded.

Sorry to hear, best of luck to you. You should probably explain briefly somewhere in your app, I can't imagine that this would keep you from getting in somewhere.

Sorry to hear, best of luck to you. You should probably explain briefly somewhere in your app, I can't imagine that this would keep you from getting in somewhere.

Thanks, appreciate it. My professors who work for pharmacy school admissions said that on AADSAS where it asks if I've ever been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony, I should put brief statement that I do have an infraction, but absolutely no misdemeanor or felony.

I'm worried because I just read a post where someone this cycle was rejected because he was charged with a misdemeanor super long time ago. He was never convicted but they still rejected him.

I think I know who you are talking about. He put his misdemeanor charge on his AADSAS form, which he did not have to, because he was not convicted.

I wouldn't put it on AADSAS, here's why:

AADSAS asks you about convictions, NOT charges.

Now, there are some schools which ask about charges on their supplemental forms, you should do what the pharm professors advised on those.

That's my two cents.

I think I know who you are talking about. He put his misdemeanor charge on his AADSAS form, which he did not have to, because he was not convicted.

I wouldn't put it on AADSAS, here's why:

AADSAS asks you about convictions, NOT charges.

Now, there are some schools which ask about charges on their supplemental forms, you should do what the pharm professors advised on those.

That's my two cents.

Yeah honestly that's how I viewed it too, but my professors pushed me real hard to just come out clean from the get go. And they work on pharmacy school admissions, so I put my trust in them. Also they said they have read wayyy worse stories and let students in.

They also said they would acknowledge that I came to them for this question when they write my LOR and that they knew about my background and they still accepted me, and they fully support me being honest from the very beginning. Really hope things work out for me, I believe I have a good chance this year with my stats.

so what are you going to put on AADSAS?
because i am in a similar situation, I was never convicted, so i put no on AADSAS... but i don't know if i made the right decision... I already submitted my application so I can't change it

so what are you going to put on AADSAS?
because i am in a similar situation, I was never convicted, so i put no on AADSAS... but i don't know if i made the right decision... I already submitted my application so I can't change it

I already put on AADSAS that I was once charged with a misdemeanor but only convicted of an infraction. You are fine with your answer. If you were never convicted then no is the right answer. The only reason my advisor told me to be up front on AADSAS was because she would bring it up on my letter of Rec. A lot of people on SDN also advised that I should be honest from the very start. However I sort of regret putting the infraction on AADSAS because I feel like some schools may not even read the response and deny me simply because I marked yes on that AADSAS question.

I already put on AADSAS that I was once charged with a misdemeanor but only convicted of an infraction. You are fine with your answer. If you were never convicted then no is the right answer. The only reason my advisor told me to be up front on AADSAS was because she would bring it up on my letter of Rec. A lot of people on SDN also advised that I should be honest from the very start. However I sort of regret putting the infraction on AADSAS because I feel like some schools may not even read the response and deny me simply because I marked yes on that AADSAS question.
thank you for your response, good luck with this cycle!!