Questions about specific programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't think any two of us regular posters are at the same place; if anyone wants specific information about certain programs or areas that is (more or less) up to date, drop a line in here and we'll see if we can refer you to someone. (I don't want to speak for anyone else, but they'll chime in, as appropriate.)

If you want to know about Duke or Mt. Sinai, PM me. I also can tell you a bit about SUNY-Buffalo.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Significant knowledge about:

University of South Florida
University of Maryland
Albert Einstein Medical Center (Philly)

interviewed at most places East of the Mississippi.

Q, DO

Michigan State University
Kalamazoo Center for Medical Studies

I know a thing or two about:

LSU-Baton Rouge
Case Western
Texas A&M-Scott and White

Can contribute about Temple, Drexel, and Beth Israel NY well... actually, I can answer questions about most of the Philly programs - at least peripherally.

I know a good bit about the York, PA program and the hospital in general.

This is a great topic, thanks for starting it and for you "old timers" helping us out with advice.

I was going to PM a few of you, but I figure the information will be helpful to all and there is no need to be selfish!! I encourage others with questions to do the same.

I'll start: Quinn and Scrubbs, I am curious as to your opinions of Albert Einstein in philly. I thought it would be interesting given your different backgrounds.

Also, Quinn, what was your overall impression of resident satisfaction at Maryland (on and off service rotations if you know).

Thanks

I'm an intern at Maryland...

So far so great. I'm totally pleased with my collegues, think they're really fantastic.

The attendings have been great, and our program director is absolutely the best around, bar none.

Of course, this is only my third month, but really great experience thus far. Conferences have been top notch, drawing great names in EM. Morale is high. Couldn't complain if I tried.

Any specific questions, feel free...

Would be happy to give info about

EVMS (Eastern Virginia Medical School)

Originally posted by Coleman
I'll start: Quinn and Scrubbs, I am curious as to your opinions of Albert Einstein in philly. I thought it would be interesting given your different backgrounds.

Wow... I totally missed this question for the past month :D

Einstein is a nice hospital, good patient population for EM, and from what I hear, their new ED is really beautiful and pimped out. The people I met were great, and I have a few friends who are residents there and are happy. I rotated at Einstein as a student, but not in the ED.

What I didn't like about the program, was the curriculum. Its a 4 year, integrated DO program. That translates to your first year basically being a rotating internship. I think they have 2 months in the ED, and rotate through ALL the specialties - Peds floors and Family Med included (as I recall). Great if you're a DO, but as an MD, I wasn't enthused. Just my $0.02.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Scrubbs
Wow... I totally missed this question for the past month :D

Einstein is a nice hospital, good patient population for EM, and from what I hear, their new ED is really beautiful and pimped out. The people I met were great, and I have a few friends who are residents there and are happy. I rotated at Einstein as a student, but not in the ED.

What I didn't like about the program, was the curriculum. Its a 4 year, integrated DO program. That translates to your first year basically being a rotating internship. I think they have 2 months in the ED, and rotate through ALL the specialties - Peds floors and Family Med included (as I recall). Great if you're a DO, but as an MD, I wasn't enthused. Just my $0.02.

Hahah, funny, because I totally missed out this question too! Funny because I try to check the forums every day (even on trauma).

I rotated through Einstein. Before I had rotated there, I considered it highly, and would have done "anything" to get in there. Mainly because I knew two attendings down here in FL who had graduated from there, and they were great. Very adept, sharper than some of the other ED physicians.

When I went there, I wasn't quite as impressed as I thought I would be. Don't get me wrong, the ED there is busy with good teaching. Their didactics are good. Decent amount of papers being published, you have animals labs there, and the trauma there is pretty constant with lots of penetrating and blunt. Their 4th year residents are VERY strong.

However, I didn't like Philly itself (sorry Scrubbsy), except for Pat's and Gino's... but perhaps it is because I stayed in a craphole in BenSalem for a month and never went out to see the nightlife (went back to my brother's on weekends in DC on time off).

I wasn't too keen on doing four year programs... and AEMC was the only 4 year program I applied to.

I was mainly afraid that as a DO applicant, I wouldn't even match at an MD 3 year program. I found out that wasn't the case, and got lots of interviews.

The training there is great. When you are done, you will probably be quite a bit sharper than your 3 year program counterparts. But, they work their residents hard and it shows.

If you are a hard worker and truly don't care where you match but want the best training, you CANNOT GO WRONG with Einstein. It just wan'st for me.

Pimplepopper would probably be better to talk about Maryland. I posted somewhere on another thread about it... search for it.

Q, DO

I'll happily answer questions about Texas Tech (en Espanol si necessita). :)

Medical College of Georgia (current), rotated at East Carolina University (Brody SOM) and Maine Medical Center.

Anybody have any comments/info on the Jacobi program in NY?

The person who answers alextron's question will probably be able to answer mine as well. I've got only 1 more slot open for an EM away rotation in NYC. I figure I would do it at NYU/Bellevue, because it's high profile. Do people here concur with my choice?

Im pretty interested in the program in El Paso. Ive actually heard El Paso is a nice place to live and I really like the southwest. my questions
1. I dont speak spanish. will it hurt me in getting a spot (part of going there is id like to learn)
2.Im a DO applicant with only the comlex ( a good score, though)
will this matter?
any good general overview is of course appreciated as well.

Originally posted by grouptherapy
The person who answers alextron's question will probably be able to answer mine as well. I've got only 1 more slot open for an EM away rotation in NYC. I figure I would do it at NYU/Bellevue, because it's high profile. Do people here concur with my choice?

If you want to do Bellevue/NYU now (or soon), you might not have any luck. Two years ago, when I applied, all the elective spots had been filled by March for that following (6 months later) summer/fall.

Originally posted by kungfufishing
Im pretty interested in the program in El Paso. Ive actually heard El Paso is a nice place to live and I really like the southwest. my questions
1. I dont speak spanish. will it hurt me in getting a spot (part of going there is id like to learn)
2.Im a DO applicant with only the comlex ( a good score, though)
will this matter?
any good general overview is of course appreciated as well.

El Paso is something of an acquired taste, and it depends on your taste. I learned to enjoy it, though I had no desire to settle down there long-term. The desert air is pretty nice, especially to the humidity I'm currently living in. The weather is temperate, not nearly as severe as the other desert cities partly I think due to the city being built in the Rio Grande Valley. So the summers aren't anywhere as hot as Phoenix, for instance, and the winters aren't nearly as cold either. The vast majority of the year was shorts and t-shirts, and you could do without the t-shirt most of the time. If you really like the Southwest, El Paso should suit you just fine. It's amazingly cheap to live in El Paso, and you can buy a pretty nice 3-bedroom house in the 70's (cheap labor abounds in El Paso).

If you're not Hispanic, you'll have to get used to being a minority as the population is 70% Mexican-American or just Mexican. I'm a minority anyway, so it wasn't anything new to me, but I'm sure some of my "white" colleagues had to adjust a little. The "official" language is still English, but Spanish is probably a more commonly spoken language in the city, and not just among the working classes. The upper classes of El Paso are pretty often native Spanish-speaking as well, though most of them will speak English in addition.

The residency is one that stresses clinical practice over research, though research opportunities are available. The residency director (who is also the research director) is Brian Nelson, who is one of the most well-educated I've known (and I've got lots of over-educated people in my family). He's a little intimidating, as he just has that "presence" that some people have. Add that to his encyclopedic wealth of medical knowledge and the fact that he is a past president of the Texas College of Emergency Physicians, and you can see why.

Most of us graduates go into the private world, though a few do stay on in academics. In general, the grads are more commonly in Texas and elsewhere in the Southwest, though the residency has been around long enough for us to spread far and wide. My class in particular got jobs elsewhere. Two in Florida, two in Southern Cal, two to Houston, and two in Oregon. We seem to have migrated in pairs.

The training is excellent, and the faculty are a good mix of lifetime academics and docs who have been in the private world in a variety of settings (and some who continue to work part time in the private world). I think that's important, because a department of nothing but academics isn't going to be able to give you the education in the business of emergency medicine that you'll want when you go job-hunting for the first time.

Given that the hospital sees primarily indigents and immigrants, the pathology you see is utterly amazing. Thanks to the Pima Indian blood in the area, you'll see more cholecystitis and gallstones in a month at Thomason than you will in a whole residency elsewhere. The best thing about the residency though I think are the patients. This population of patients is remarkable in that they actually appreciate your help and will thank you (sometimes profusely) for helping them. There were even a couple times where I just felt like saying, "Stop groveling, please," only I don't know how to say "groveling" in Spanish. Contrast that to almost anywhere else in the country where the patients mostly just feel that they're entitled to free health care and that any delay in providing it constitutes a grounds for suing.

Not speaking Spanish will not hurt you as long as you're willing to learn. The program has an introductory Spanish class during the first month or two (I don't remember exactly, since I didn't bother with it). I spoke some Spanish when I got there, and became reasonably fluent by the time I left. A couple docs in my class didn't speak any Spanish at all when they started, and they were both at least functional in medical Spanish in reasonable time.

Being a DO won't hurt you, and I don't think taking only the COMLEX will be an issue, though I'd ask. Email the residency coordinator Mary Lou ([email protected]) and ask her specifically. If she doesn't know, she can find out. The faculty is pretty much MDs with one DOs. I think we had one or two others when I was there. In any case, the program is very open to non-traditional candidates, so being DO is hardly an issue. Looking at their website, 4 of the current residents are DOs.

Holy necrobump, Batman!
We might have a record here...

That was, um, 13 years ago.

Reactions: 3 users