PhD/PsyD Questions about the first year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JiminyCroquet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Firstly, I'd just like to say that this forum has been an enormous resource for me throughout the application process. Thanks to everyone for that. Anyway:

I recently received an offer from a very research oriented clinical phd program. I'm thrilled, and intend to accept. However, while I'm well aware of the whole imposter syndrome phenomenon, I do feel fairly concerned about throwing myself right into things without any sort of downtime. Five years (and, I've heard 80+ hour weeks) seems like quite a commitment on the other side of the application process...given the confidence the school/advisor has shown in accepting me, and the investment they will be making, I'm worried about the demands of the program and the consequences that moving hundreds of miles away from everyone I know will have on my ability to perform. Don't get me wrong, this is exactly what I want to do, and I love school and research. Nonetheless, what should I expect when I get there? I'm familiar with the general outline of what will happen, having read the student handbook and attended the interview weekend, but I'd love if current or former graduate students could share some of their first year experiences and advice.

Thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First off, congratulations on your acceptance! Would you mind disclosing the program? I am not a current student, but I can tell you what I have heard from current students: The one common theme I hear from all first-years is the need to maintain balance between school work, research, and life outside of the graduate program. They all have told me that the most difficult part of the first year is learning when it's okay to skim articles for class, read just certain articles for class, etc. They do this so they can excel in other parts of their program (i.e. research productivity). They also say it is useful to have one activity that you do for leisure that you do not give up under any circumstances. For example, some play recreational sports at least once a week. Sorry I can't provide any more insight than that, but I hope it helped!

B = Ph.D.

You should try and get more A's than B's (3.5 or higher), but don't stress about a 4.0. It's better to pursue other areas of training, as much of the learning occurs outside of the classroom.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like you're a little apprehensive about what you're getting yourself into and you should be. It is a fairly grueling and exhausting process, but thousands of people have survived it, and you will too, particularly if it's what you really want to do. I think people's first years vary wildly so I'm not sure it's that helpful to ask for experiences. I'll tell you a tiny bit about my own though.

In my program we take 5 courses each semester first year, and do 10 hours of research in the fall and 15-20 hours in the spring. So figure 18-19 hours in class + 15 hours of research + 12-15 hours studying, maybe more studying right before mid-terms and finals or before papers were due. In my program about 45-50 hours of work each week was the norm. People could do more if they were on multiple research teams of course. Several people in my cohort came straight from undergrad. Three of them took 6 years to graduate and the other will finish just shy of 7 years. Of the three who came in with master's, two finished in 5 years, and I am in my 7th year, but only because I switched to part-time a few years ago. I think there are advantages and disadvantages to coming straight from undergrad, as with anything else.

I absolutely hated first year and if I could have seen the future before I got into my program, I would have passed on the doctorate. But I'm older and already have a career and have several other issues to consider.

I am sure you will do fine, but it is a scary experience in the beginning and it's okay to feel a little bit nervous about it. I get the sense that you almost wish you could take a year or two off, is that right?

As to your concern about having to move and social support, I know that the 22-year old in my program who moved 2,000 miles did have a hard time adjusting initially, but eventually she found a really great bunch of friends and met someone and is now married. You can always keep in touch with your friends and family via phone, Skype, Facebook. And if they're driving distance, you will definitely be able to see them occasionally too, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
55-60hr/wk is probably in the ballpark for time needed, but it depends on the person and how much they involve themselves outside of the requirements. I typically took Sundays off and sometimes an afternoon during the wk, depending on what I needed to get done.

Hey all, thanks so much for your responses!

First off, congratulations on your acceptance! Would you mind disclosing the program? I am not a current student, but I can tell you what I have heard from current students: The one common theme I hear from all first-years is the need to maintain balance between school work, research, and life outside of the graduate program. They all have told me that the most difficult part of the first year is learning when it's okay to skim articles for class, read just certain articles for class, etc. They do this so they can excel in other parts of their program (i.e. research productivity). They also say it is useful to have one activity that you do for leisure that you do not give up under any circumstances. For example, some play recreational sports at least once a week. Sorry I can't provide any more insight than that, but I hope it helped!

Hey, thanks a ton for your congrats! I'm not entirely comfortable naming the program. If you have a vested interest -- as in, are also a clinical applicant -- you can PM me! Otherwise, thanks, that is really useful advice.

B = Ph.D.

You should try and get more A's than B's (3.5 or higher), but don't stress about a 4.0. It's better to pursue other areas of training, as much of the learning occurs outside of the classroom.

I've heard that more than a few B's is an indication that you're in somewhat dangerous territory? But you're absolutely right, definitely noted. Research productivity is what I'm more concerned with, actually. The current students in the lab are insanely, intimidatingly accomplished...while that's super cool because I'll be able to learn a ton from them, I think it makes my relative youth stand out all the more. This hasn't been a problem socially before -- i'm definitely friends/friendly with many of the grad. students at my current lab, and I got along great with many of the grad students at my interview -- but in a professional context it is slightly worrying.

It sounds like you're a little apprehensive about what you're getting yourself into and you should be. It is a fairly grueling and exhausting process, but thousands of people have survived it, and you will too, particularly if it's what you really want to do. I think people's first years vary wildly so I'm not sure it's that helpful to ask for experiences. I'll tell you a tiny bit about my own though.

In my program we take 5 courses each semester first year, and do 10 hours of research in the fall and 15-20 hours in the spring. So figure 18-19 hours in class + 15 hours of research + 12-15 hours studying, maybe more studying right before mid-terms and finals or before papers were due. In my program about 45-50 hours of work each week was the norm. People could do more if they were on multiple research teams of course. Several people in my cohort came straight from undergrad. Three of them took 6 years to graduate and the other will finish just shy of 7 years. Of the three who came in with master's, two finished in 5 years, and I am in my 7th year, but only because I switched to part-time a few years ago. I think there are advantages and disadvantages to coming straight from undergrad, as with anything else.

I absolutely hated first year and if I could have seen the future before I got into my program, I would have passed on the doctorate. But I'm older and already have a career and have several other issues to consider.

I am sure you will do fine, but it is a scary experience in the beginning and it's okay to feel a little bit nervous about it. I get the sense that you almost wish you could take a year or two off, is that right?

As to your concern about having to move and social support, I know that the 22-year old in my program who moved 2,000 miles did have a hard time adjusting initially, but eventually she found a really great bunch of friends and met someone and is now married. You can always keep in touch with your friends and family via phone, Skype, Facebook. And if they're driving distance, you will definitely be able to see them occasionally too, right?

Thanks so much for this reply! I found it very helpful and somewhat calming, actually. Is there anything you would have done differently in your 1st year in order to cope better? There are similarities between your program and mine, because it seems like they really frontload classes in the first 1-2 years. But yeah, what you outlined is certainly more doable than 80 hours.

I'm not completely sure if there will be other undergrads in my cohort. At my interview, as far as I could tell, there was only one other ug...although I didn't meet all of the applicants.

Yeah, I really do have a slight wistful yearning feeling for some time off. I'm not sure if its trepidation about moving into the next stage of my life hastily and thus missing out on certain experiences or genuine fear that I am mentally/emotionally unprepared. Still, I'm fairly confident that I made the right decision in applying. More specifically, I suppose that I'm most apprehensive about hitting a wall or losing steam a few years in (which isn't unusual?), as I imagine it would be easier to deal with had I taken a break from school.

Finally, unfortunately where I'm going is a plane ride away -- and I'm currently in a fairly long term relationship which is contributing to my worries, but hey such is life.

Last edited:
Firstly, I'd just like to say that this forum has been an enormous resource for me throughout the application process. Thanks to everyone for that. Anyway:

I recently received an offer from a very research oriented and well regarded clinical phd program. I'm thrilled, and intend to accept. However, while I'm well aware of the whole imposter syndrome phenomenon, I do feel fairly concerned about throwing myself right into things without any sort of downtime. My undergrad (I'm still a senior) faculty advisor encouraged me to apply mid-fall (early october) and I only started the process then, as I had originally planned to take a year away from school. Five years (and, I've heard 80+ hour weeks) seems like quite a commitment on the other side of the application process...given the confidence the school/advisor has shown in accepting me, and the investment they will be making, I'm worried about the demands of the program and the consequences that moving hundreds of miles away from everyone I know will have on my ability to perform. Don't get me wrong, this is exactly what I want to do, and I love school and research. Nonetheless, what should I expect when I get there? I'm familiar with the general outline of what will happen, having read the student handbook and attended the interview weekend, but I'd love if current or former graduate students could share some of their first year experiences and advice.

Thanks so much!!
Some schools will
Accept a "delayed" entry, that is post-pone meant. It's hard to acquire, but still
Possible.
I took 2 years off between undergrad (psych) and masters (MFT), and 1 year off between masters and doctorate (counseling PsyD). I only regret the break between undergrad and masters. I do not regret the break between masters and doctorate. Why? I worked in the field for that 1 year building on my skills and exposure to issues the textbooks never teach. I also took that time to study for the GRE so that I had the best chance possible to get into my top choice program. If I had studied for the Gre during my last year of masters (or undergrad for others) I would have not done so well.

I appreciate my break for the work experience. Some programs really value work experience (practitioner heavy ones). Research programs do not. You have to look at your decision with the end goal in mind. What do you want to do? What's more important to you?

Also, things to consider, although the a mental break from a school helps with endurance later, the older we are, the slower we learn. The more you wait, the harder it is to go back to school. This is especially true for females because life stage issues kick in (marriage, kids, etc). So my advice despite my experience is: don't wait, jump into right away. But take a really good (three month break) to unplug and enjoy life over the summer before you start your doc program.