Questions about Vascular Medicine....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hokte

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to find out more information on Vascular medicine, but I'm having trouble finding answers. Anybody know how many years of fellowship it involves? I am really looking for a IM subspecialty that works closely with surgery and has procedures. So far from here seems that Critical care fits that description well, but I thought that Vascular may qualify too. I'd appreciate any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Vascular medicine is usually in the realm of cardiologists. There's no formal fellowship for vascular per se, but many cards folks will end up focusing in it.

According to the ABVM, Vascular Medicine requires either a Cards fellowship (4 years) or a 12 month Vascular fellowship (of which ERAS and FRIEDA list exactly zero programs but MGH, Mayo and CCF all have programs, even though the ABIM doesn't recognize it as a separate specialty yet). If you want to do interventional work however you need either a cards fellowship w/ interventional experience, an interventional radiology fellowship or a vascular surgery residency/fellowship.

So if you want to do interventional stuff, IM/Cards, Vascular Surgery or Rads/Interventional is the way to go.

Thanks for the info.