Questions about working as a pharmacy student intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAtoPharm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just have a few brief questions about working as a pharmacy student intern. I've heard that retail chains pay interns half of what they pay their licensed pharmacists, but does this apply only to interns who have already graduated from pharmacy school and are waiting to receive licensure, or does it also apply to those working as interns during pharmacy school?

If someone decides to work as an intern while in pharmacy school, how many shifts per week are students generally advised to work? Would a retail chain hire a student to work just one 12-hour shift per week to start, at least until the student figures out how many days per week they need to spend studying, etc.?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I just have a few brief questions about working as a pharmacy student intern. I've heard that retail chains pay interns half of what they pay their licensed pharmacists, but does this apply only to interns who have already graduated from pharmacy school and are waiting to receive licensure, or does it also apply to those working as interns during pharmacy school?

If someone decides to work as an intern while in pharmacy school, how many shifts per week are students generally advised to work? Would a retail chain hire a student to work just one 12-hour shift per week to start, at least until the student figures out how many days per week they need to spend studying, etc.?

Thanks!
As far as I know, pharmacy intern (student) pay is around 1/3 of pharmacists pay.
** correction: $17-22/hr depends on what year you are. Pharmacist's salary is about $60-65/hr in my area.

If I have to hire interns, I prefer someone who is available every weekends and can work 16-20 hours at least.

Last edited:
graduate intern is half. expect $12-15 depending on what year you are in

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks!

It depends on what year you're in. Specific to your area, it'd be hourly $10-12 p1 year, $12-13 p2 year, 13-14 p3 year, and 15-16 p4 year.
I'd work as much as you can the first year and start tapering down as the years get progressively harder. Maybe 10-20 hrs/week for first year, it depends. But how you're scheduled depends completely on your manager and if he's understanding or not about your school workload. By p4 year, you're on rotations so you really should only be working enough to stay on the payroll schedule, so maybe a few hours a month.

I am currently a P3 most people who intern work only a day or two each month at my chain.
I currently get paid $11/hr

It kind of depends on where you work and what you can handle. I work as little as I can because I get insanely stressed during school. If I had a hospital position, I would put in more hours though.

I think the norm is to work 1-2 nights per week (like 5-9 or something) and maybe every other or every third weekend depending on how much help the store needs. Usually interns work with their pharmacy manager to set up strict availability and try to stick to that (ex: work every Tues evening and every third Sat and Sun of the month). Most pharmacists are pretty understanding that you will be limited on availability because of studying and classes, the key is to have as strict of a working schedule as possible and to work AT LEAST once per week to stay in the swing of things. The pay depends on what year you are, I made $12/hr as a P1 then up to $15.50 as a P4. They will pay you half-pharmacist salary once you sign a job offer and graduate and they are just waiting a month or so for you to take the boards. I think this is how most chains work at least

Reactions: 1 user
Work as much as you can while still passing classes, that should be the rule of thumb. I worked 30-35/week years 1-3, with rotations I am down to about 20-24 hours/week. Pay is roughly $13-18 as a p1 in my area to $18-27 as a 4th year.

Thanks!

With your academic background, you probably should NOT work at all during school.

With your academic background, you probably should NOT work at all during school.

Why not? The only class I failed this semester was the lab course (due to failing the anesthesia/OR simulation final).

Why not? The only class I failed this semester was the lab course (due to failing the anesthesia/OR simulation final).

At best, I think you're being overly aggressive with what you're trying to accomplish, aka, biting off more than you can chew so to speak. At worst, I think you're grossly overestimating your capabilities, maybe even looking down on the profession. Pharmacy isn't easy... I really think it would be better if you focused on your studies, did really well, and then and only then, considered getting a part time job.

Work as much as you can while still passing classes, that should be the rule of thumb. I worked 30-35/week years 1-3, with rotations I am down to about 20-24 hours/week. Pay is roughly $13-18 as a p1 in my area to $18-27 as a 4th year.

Listen to this guy OP. On-the-job experience is something you need and will put you light-years ahead of the students who don't work while in school. The more you work (provided you can continue passing your classes), the better off you'll be.

Listen to this guy OP. On-the-job experience is something you need and will put you light-years ahead of the students who don't work while in school. The more you work (provided you can continue passing your classes), the better off you'll be.

You know this kid just failed out of PA school right?

Members don't see this ad :)
At best, I think you're being overly aggressive with what you're trying to accomplish, aka, biting off more than you can chew so to speak. At worst, I think you're grossly overestimating your capabilities, maybe even looking down on the profession. Pharmacy isn't easy... I really think it would be better if you focused on your studies, did really well, and then and only then, considered getting a part time job.

Thanks for the advice; those are good points. Just out of curiosity (and assuming you are a relatively recent grad), how much material does a typical pharmacy school test cover? Assuming that most pharmacy schools utilize Powerpoint presentations, would you say that most tests cover in the range of 300-500 slides?

Thanks for the advice; those are good points. Just out of curiosity (and assuming you are a relatively recent grad), how much material does a typical pharmacy school test cover? Assuming that most pharmacy schools utilize Powerpoint presentations, would you say that most tests cover in the range of 300-500 slides?

yes, that's about right for the science/therapeutics courses. the "easy courses" like electives and law classes may cover 200 or so per test. As far as chains go, pay ranges from $11-$20/hr depending on year and state. Most want you to work 10-20 hours per week. Independents will let you work fewer hours, but typically pay less.

If including "readings" the important classes that could possibly fail you cover 500-700 slides. For example aspirin could be technically crammed into a one or two page document or very short power point, but in order to really get a good handle on it, you would be better served doing some reading on your own, even looking at a box of aspirin at a store, etc.

If including "readings" the important classes that could possibly fail you cover 500-700 slides. For example aspirin could be technically crammed into a one or two page document or very short power point, but in order to really get a good handle on it, you would be better served doing some reading on your own, even looking at a box of aspirin at a store, etc.

True you can read into the subjects as in depth as you want, but all of the Rho Chi people I know basically use slides only. I've had a total of maybe 10 test questions thus far in RX school that came from "supplemental" reading.

True you can read into the subjects as in depth as you want, but all of the Rho Chi people I know basically use slides only. I've had a total of maybe 10 test questions thus far in RX school that came from "supplemental" reading.

Glad to know you're in Rho Chi, OP send this guy messages.

Thanks!

I am not sure where you are in your PA studies and how salvageable that is, but as you have been reading on SDN this is the all time worst time to go into pharmacy. By the time that you graduate, it will be even worse. From CVS shutting down 24 hour stores and laying off RPh, future Walgreens/Rite Aid merger store closing, govn't predicting job stagnation,etc. How can you still consider investing 4 more years of your life and 200 some thousand dollars into this field? The chains that you express interest in treat RPh like crap, and just wanted to ask who is next... If you have a chance to be a PA, work in a clean office, or even a hospital, in a growing profession, how do you turn that down? still makes no sense to me lol.

I'm not, but thanks for putting me in the crosshairs

Crosshairs? Okay, you did that yourself, don't come blaming others for your own actions. You're the one trying to give "Rho Chi" advice as a non Rho Chi? Why are you in the thread if you're not trying to help the op? Clearly you can keep giving advice to the OP since my methods only covered 10 questions in your career.

I am not sure where you are in your PA studies and how salvageable that is, but as you have been reading on SDN this is the all time worst time to go into pharmacy. By the time that you graduate, it will be even worse. From CVS shutting down 24 hour stores and laying off RPh, future Walgreens/Rite Aid merger store closing, govn't predicting job stagnation,etc. How can you still consider investing 4 more years of your life and 200 some thousand dollars into this field? The chains that you express interest in treat RPh like crap, and just wanted to ask who is next... If you have a chance to be a PA, work in a clean office, or even a hospital, in a growing profession, how do you turn that down? still makes no sense to me lol.

Well, here's the thing -- back when I first started pursuing my bachelor's degree, I had a natural interest in pharmacy but figured that medicine would offer a better "deal" overall. Eventually, I decided I didn't want to spend all that time going through medical school & residency and decided I wanted to be a CRNA. So I did a semester of nursing classes and realized I wasn't cut-out for the hands-on grossness nurses deal with. After that, I applied and got accepted to anesthesia PA school, which I'm in now. For the various reasons I've discussed in previous threads, it seems that anesthesiology might not be for me. So after having spent 4-5 years learning "the hard way" as to what professions aren't right for me, I'm starting to realize that I should have pursued my initial interest years ago in pharmacy. Yes, they might not make what doctors and most dentists make, but if it's truly the best fit for someone, then these "downsides" aren't as significant. When taking into consideration the negative factors you mentioned, I guess I just figure that I'll make the best of the situation and do everything I can to not end up being a member of the 20% of unemployed pharmacists. I'm also from an area that is considered by most to be a highly undesirable area to live in, so I'm hoping the saturation isn't as significant here.

BTW -- in the anesthesia field, RAND has predicted that there will be an oversupply of between 10,000 and 20,000 too many anesthetists due to the explosion of CRNA schools from 50-60 to over 120 over the last few years, so why should someone not go into pharmacy because of the provider oversupply issue but still pursue a career in anesthesia, despite the same issue being prevalent?

Well, here's the thing -- back when I first started pursuing my bachelor's degree, I had a natural interest in pharmacy but figured that medicine would offer a better "deal" overall. Eventually, I decided I didn't want to spend all that time going through medical school & residency and decided I wanted to be a CRNA. So I did a semester of nursing classes and realized I wasn't cut-out for the hands-on grossness nurses deal with. After that, I applied and got accepted to anesthesia PA school, which I'm in now. For the various reasons I've discussed in previous threads, it seems that anesthesiology might not be for me. So after having spent 4-5 years learning "the hard way" as to what professions aren't right for me, I'm starting to realize that I should have pursued my initial interest years ago in pharmacy. Yes, they might not make what doctors and most dentists make, but if it's truly the best fit for someone, then these "downsides" aren't as significant. When taking into consideration the negative factors you mentioned, I guess I just figure that I'll make the best of the situation and do everything I can to not end up being a member of the 20% of unemployed pharmacists. I'm also from an area that is considered by most to be a highly undesirable area to live in, so I'm hoping the saturation isn't as significant here.

BTW -- in the anesthesia field, RAND has predicted that there will be an oversupply of between 10,000 and 20,000 too many anesthetists due to the explosion of CRNA schools from 50-60 to over 120 over the last few years, so why should someone not go into pharmacy because of the provider oversupply issue but still pursue a career in anesthesia, despite the same issue being prevalent?

I am not sure what an anesthetist PA is and not going to pretend that I do. I know plenty of jobs for PA's in CA with affordable care act, who work in primary care and are very happy with their jobs. At my hospital, we have plenty of PA's on teams. Even if job market for anesthetist PA is bad, why go from bad to bad or worse. Go for something better. Makes no sense.