Questions at Interviews regarding a low grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samsoonee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you got a low grade in a class, and you do not have a particular reason, i.e. personal problems, work, etc., what do you say?
Should you be straight up honest and say you screwed up or sugarcoat it? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

What class was it? I would say if it was a nonsense class it's no big deal but if it was a pre-req like orgo or gchem I would sugar coat it a bit.

This isn't my thread, but this'll kill two birds with one stone. Let's say Honors Biology 2. The professor was a medical surgeon. Plus I had way too many things going on that semester and my second exam was on the same day as my 2 upperclassmen exams. (I got an A in Biology 1, though.) How do you think I should sugar coat it? Mean, I'm sure other people have had unanticipated busy semesters.

Members don't see this ad :)
While I would not bring it up, if specifically asked I would attempt to explain this in a positive light. It would be a HUGE mistake to give excuses, particularly excuses such as “I had way too many things going on that semester”. After all professional school is at least two or three years of “I had way too many things going on that semester”. So your goal should be to explain how this experience taught you time management and study skills which you applied successfully in the future. And how because of this experience you are a better more productive student who will be a wonderful asset to their program.

hey guys,

during my mock interview with my schools prehealth office, the guy asked me about my D in Econ :(
i didn't really have a good response except that i just didn't understand it and that i still don't understand Econ... and he said that although its outside my major and i took Econ my freshman year, I should still have a good reason prepared when I'm going to the real interviews...the one i gave wasn't good enough, so i guess simply the truth won't fully work..sugarcoat a bit

Sugarcoating is for wimps.
When my Penn inteviewer asked about my C in Comparative Anatomy, I just told him... "It was a challenging course, the teacher did a good job teaching the class, I just did not go in as prepared as I should have. I did not put in as much work as was required to make an A in the class and I take full responsibility for the grade."

Never mind that the teacher kinda sucked, moms was in the hospital, and my schedule for that semester was crazy.

An interview is not the place to make excuses, freaking take responsibility and show that you have learned from the experience and would take the necessary steps to improve on whatever was lacking. Good luck.

Gargamel said:
While I would not bring it up, if specifically asked I would attempt to explain this in a positive light. It would be a HUGE mistake to give excuses, particularly excuses such as “I had way too many things going on that semester”. After all professional school is at least two or three years of “I had way too many things going on that semester”. So your goal should be to explain how this experience taught you time management and study skills which you applied successfully in the future. And how because of this experience you are a better more productive student who will be a wonderful asset to their program.

Gargamel is totally right. Better to own up to your mistake and tell them that you learned from it than to try to "sugar coat" things. They have no sympathy if you say the class was just too much for you to handle or that it was just too difficult. They'll just assume you won't be able to cut it in dental school as well. Sometimes we do have personal issues like a death in the family or something that come up, and thats totally understandable, but lets not start making up stories or excuses for our mistakes. ;)

So basically, I should admit my mistake and then say what I learned from it?

Tinman, I just re-read your post and it answered my question.
Sorry for the ******edness.
Thanks everyone!