Questions for current or past IAUPR students

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbrad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My son has just been accepted to the IAUPR. We have put down our deposit and starting to plan for the upcoming year. I am doing some additional research on this experience for myself and to help my son in preparing for this.

I was wondering if current or past students of IAUPR could give me some guidance on what to expect the first year. I was also wondering what most students do for financial aid. The financial aid page at IAUPR is in Spanish. We are currently looking at the FASFA Unsubsidized loan and then use the Federal Graduate Plus Loan to cover the rest. Those two seem to be the most popular on the web.

Also wondering what students are using for laptops or tablets. The laptop specs sheet for the school mentions to avoid solid state drives which I thought was strange. Solid State drives allow fast boot up and great performance. I can only assume it’s because of the lack of space maybe.

Did most of you visit the school prior to start date? If so, did they offer a tour of everything?

How to most of you with family in the US communicate with them from Puerto Rico? Skype, Google Voice, regular phone? Just wondering what the best deal is.

Are most of you able to work while going to school to help with costs and living expenses? If so does the school offer jobs?

On your days off where is the best place to go and relax? I assume a beach. 

Thanks in advance. Just like to hear from others that when to this school. I really appreciate it.:)

Members don't see this ad.

Also wondering about vehicles. Is public transportation good enough or will he eventually need a car.

congrats!

the first year is a tough one...at any school. the material maybe isnt so tough..its the volume that is tough. there is an adjustment period for sure. I'm not saying it cant be done. it can be done very well through dedication and proper time management. I'm sure your son will do fine though :)

financial aid is fairly simply. there is federal subsidized and unsubsidized (the last i checked under the current presidential administration it hasnt changed), then also Grad PLUS loans are an option, as are any private loans, and even sallie mae

computer specs. good idea. yes the school has some minimum specs, however we all feel they are a little excessive. any decent and current (within the last2-3 years I would say) laptop will be fine. Though if you want expert advice...you could email our IT director (message me and ill give it to you) tablets are nice, but as of yet not needed. basically we take most of our tests online, and most of the teachers use powerpoints for lectures. i dont know anything about solid state laptops..sorry ):

we do offer tours if you want to come visit

I talk to my family back home all the time through skype, and even my cell phone. it all works the same as if your son were in the neighboring state. phone service is all the same. verizon doesnt seem to work all that great here, the rest are great.

work - it might be VERY difficult to work while going to school. i wouldnt recommend it. the school doesnt offer any jobs other than being a part time tutor for other classmates. most of us live off loans and try to be frugal

there are lots of interesting things to go and see and some very beautiful beaches here..no worries

a car would be eventually needed as there is almost no public transportation around our school area.

we also have some face book pages set up
follow us on face book

http://www.facebook.com/groups/370260046415056/

and

http://www.facebook.com/groups/119220661430241/

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I believe IAUPR had it's accreditation reviewed this year, how did that go?

Last edited:
yes it will have its accreditation reviewed this month as a regularly scheduled visit from the ACOE that happens every eight years with every school. there is no reason to think it would be in jeopardy of loosing its accreditation at this time. (if that's what you're hinting at). were good to go for another eight years or more :)

we're also having the middle state association of colleges and schools review our accreditation with them this month. again, we are in good standing and will continue to be in good standing until the next set of visits

for more information on what the accreditation with the ACOE entails please refer to the AOA's website:
http://www.aoa.org/x5153.xml

and for more information on the accreditation with MSA please refer to their website:
http://www.middlestates.org/index.php

Last edited:
current IAUPR students, do you like your school? How was the transition in your 1st year (eg. workload, lifestyle, learning spanish).

Hi guys I have a Gpa of 3.3+ and a science of 3.1-3.2 what are my chances of getting into IAUPR??