Questions for interviewers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fireorose

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I have problems thinking of a question to ask my interviewers. I hate asking questions that you could easily research and find or already know the answer. Also some questions depend upon the interviewer if they are faculty or not. Anyways, so what are some questions ya'll ask??

Members don't see this ad.

In any interview situation, you should always ask questions that prompt further discussion. The key is to keep the interview about you. Obviously silly questions, or questions that can be answered in a sentence or two would not qualify. Don't be afraid to ask about the interviewer, their/the universities views on subjects they have asked you about, their experiences, etc; just make sure that your questions are grounded in something that relates to you as a candidate. Conversly though, as a doctor, you will be a healer, and that entails a significant amount of listening. Start by really listening to the direction the interviewer is leading you with her questions. While many of them are prescribed, they will eventually go off-book, and offer you some insight into what they want to know about you. Don't be a yes-man, but do take the time to listen and process what they are asking you. I know this is all pretty generic interview advice, but I can tell you that it works. I currently am a faculty manager for a large university, and when we are hiring new faculty, the alphabet soup behind their name means little if they are unable to communicate well. Personally, I find candidates come off best when they take the time to process the interview, and then ask an intelligent question based on our conversation. Whoever does your interview has heard 55,327 different versions of the same "knockout" question that candidates think about for days and weeks before the interview. Just be the intelligent person that you are, and let the interview develop naturally. The only thing that makes you different from the stackloads of applicants whom the interviewer is moving on to next is that you are you. Sounds trite, but you would not believe the number of robots I see on a weekly basis. MBA's, PhDs, etc, etc, who during the interview I get to know nothing about. I can tell you that their resumes are put in the round file as soon as the door closes behind them. Research the school, it's alumni, it's current students, and it's legacy. Keep all this in mind, pay attention to your interviewer's cues, and let the interview just happen. I see that I have taken quite a few words to not answer your question. Trust me, if there was a magic question that an applicant could ask to prove how spectacular they are, it would have been asked thousands of times before. The key to any interview is to be relaxed, confident, and comfortable. Focus on your strengths, especially those that coincide with the focus areas of the interviewing school. If there is something special about you, it'll come through.