Questions for Stony Brook D1-D4s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMD_hopeful

Registered lunatic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a few questions about SB.

Do you use the scribe service for lectures?

Are you typically attending all the lectures?
I ask this because of the small class size and lack of anonymity.

Do you get the 'care package' handed down to you from the class ahead of you?

Is the class 'click-ish'?

Is there anything to do in the surrounding area? (Recreation/Socially)

What do you think of the school clinically? Is there enough of a patient base?

Lastly, would you go there again if you had the chance?

Thanks for answering ANY of my questions. I'm not a NY resident and am trying to narrow down my choices of schools.

Members don't see this ad.

DMD_hopeful said:
I've got a few questions about SB.

Do you use the scribe service for lectures?

Are you typically attending all the lectures?
I ask this because of the small class size and lack of anonymity.

Do you get the 'care package' handed down to you from the class ahead of you?

Is the class 'click-ish'?

Is there anything to do in the surrounding area? (Recreation/Socially)

What do you think of the school clinically? Is there enough of a patient base?

Lastly, would you go there again if you had the chance?

Thanks for answering ANY of my questions. I'm not a NY resident and am trying to narrow down my choices of schools.

good questions c, my thoughts exactly.

Adding to the list,
How do students typically perform on part i and ii?
Are the tests primarily in MC format or essay-style. Are +'s and -'s issued or just straight letter grades as posted on the website?
Do you consider clinical professors to be accessible?
Did you guys find it hard to find an apartment/condo/townhouse not far from the school?

Thanks!

im currently a d1 at stony brook. yes everyone subscribes to the note service. for classes like biochem which is taken with the meds -hardley anyone goes so you can sleep late which is nice. for anatomy for some lecures we are together with the meds, but the majority of the lecutres are by dental anatomy professors- so you should try to go to those but again everything is transcribbed for you so its not essential. as for the class being clicky i would say a little bit, but as a whole people are really nice and are studying too much to get very clicky anyway. about social life??? well if can afford to have one it would be a rarity cause the work load is pretty nuts. i hvae only taken 3-4 days off the entire semester. there are plenty of bars and things to do arround the area though if u blow off studying. the apartments are also close to being manhattan expensive so start looking early otherwise your not going to find much for under 800 mo unless its a crap hole.

Members don't see this ad :)
abogler612 said:
im currently a d1 at stony brook. yes everyone subscribes to the note service. for classes like biochem which is taken with the meds -hardley anyone goes so you can sleep late which is nice. for anatomy for some lecures we are together with the meds, but the majority of the lecutres are by dental anatomy professors- so you should try to go to those but again everything is transcribbed for you so its not essential. as for the class being clicky i would say a little bit, but as a whole people are really nice and are studying too much to get very clicky anyway. about social life??? well if can afford to have one it would be a rarity cause the work load is pretty nuts. i hvae only taken 3-4 days off the entire semester. there are plenty of bars and things to do arround the area though if u blow off studying. the apartments are also close to being manhattan expensive so start looking early otherwise your not going to find much for under 800 mo unless its a crap hole.

clinically i cant speak from 1st hand experince but from i have heard its pretty good.

would i chose to come here again?? well its cheap, and dental school pretty much sucks no matter where you go, so save yourself some coin

Adding to the list,
How do students typically perform on part i and ii?-->Alot better than national average.

Are the tests primarily in MC format or essay-style. Are +'s and -'s issued or just straight letter grades as posted on the website?--> Straight Letter grade.

Do you consider clinical professors to be accessible?--> I' m only a D1, I believe so.

Did you guys find it hard to find an apartment/condo/townhouse not far from the school?--> Pretty easy if you got the money.

bingpredent said:
Did you guys find it hard to find an apartment/condo/townhouse not far from the school?--> Pretty easy if you got the money.

Bing,

Thanks for the reply. What's the going rate for rent out there? What towns do people typically live in?

How did you find your first semester at SB? Like it/hate it? Managable/impossible?

Thanks,
DMD_hopeful

DMD_hopeful said:
Bing,

Thanks for the reply. What's the going rate for rent out there? What towns do people typically live in?

How did you find your first semester at SB? Like it/hate it? Managable/impossible?

Thanks,
DMD_hopeful

Well, any suburbs around NYC will be expensive.. such as new jersey, Staten Island, LongIsland. Thatz coz these places are in high demands for commuters. In term of neighborhood, it's not much different than any other suburbs... and if you look at the real estate catalog, the average house costs around half a million dollars around here, thus the rent

First semester is kinda gruelsome. We got Gross anatomy , Biochem, Dental morph, dental operatives. For me, it was a little impossible, coz I was always behind on the material. But for alot of the others, it was manageable at best. oh BTW, tip for all future dental students, try to attend class and most importantly, don't fall behind..

If you are interviewed pretty early at STony Brook (i.e sept) and you don't hear by December 1st... is that a bad sign? I am trying not to take it as a bad sign, as I was told it's rolling admissions and you can hear ANYTIME at all!
Private Message Me Thanks for the advice.

Bing,

Where do most of your classmates live? Is it possible to find a studio out there for ~~$725ish?

DMD_hopeful said:
Bing,

Where do most of your classmates live? Is it possible to find a studio out there for ~~$725ish?

About 5 of our classmates live on campus, and everyone else live off campus. Studios cost ALOT, over $1000, so I don't recommend that. Typically, students pay about $700 per month for their apartment (2/3/4 bedroom).

May I add, i feel the second semester is alot easier than first semester mostly because you're taking only one class at a time. :thumbup:

Hey all. Good thread. I was wondering too about the living/commuting situation at Stony Brook. Do any (or many) D3 or D4 students live westward, say as far as western nassau county or Queens? Most of my family/friends/life are in that direction and I would love to be able to have access to them and the city if possible, so I'm curious if this is done at all. I say D3 or D4 because I assume it would be more feasible to have a bit of a commute when the bulk of your work is clinical, and not as much "book based" studying.

What is the laptop requirement for the school?

Do we have to buy one from the school or can we buy/use our own that fits their requirements?

PS Any current students with housing ideas, feel free to PM me.. Please..