Questions on the job search (when to apply, resources/recruiters, cover letter, CV, etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnwandering

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been a member here going on 12 years now (since premed) and now i've finished my residency and working my way through my last year of fellowship and now looking for a job.

A few questions concerning the job search:

1.) When should the job search begin? I'm looking to start in 7/2020 or around then, I have heard about 6 months prior?
2.) What are some of the best resources you have had for the job search? (I so far have seen Zip Recruiter, Heath eCareers, the AAN website, I have also heard about but haven't used practicelink?; wondering what else you may recommend)
Hoping to find a non-academic neurohospitalist position in a major city.
3.) Does anyone have experience with using a recruiter in the past and would you recommend it? What recruiters would you recommend (looking in the West coast or in NYC)?
4.) In terms of the CV, I had included items in there for my teaching experiences during residency (lectures/journal clubs etc) for the fellowship search (as well as some other misc items such as leadership roles during medical school), was wondering if these were recommended to be removed at this stage.
5.) Do people normally enter cover letters when applying for job positions?

And was wondering if anyone else had any tidbits of advice/wisdom to look out for during the job search process.

Thank you everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Now is a great time to start looking.

Decide what kind of practice do you want:
Academic vs private
Hospital employed vs private practice
Hospitalist vs outpatient vs mix

Our group is already interviewing a lot of residents and fellows that will graduate next year. If you have any interest in the midwest (doesn't sound like it) le me know, our large multispecialty private practice group is always recruiting Neurologists.

Start your job search now if you're looking to start next Summer.

Practicelink is a good resource. As is simply googling "X city neurology jobs". Usually there will be a contact person you can email your resume to. After that, the typical paradigm is speaking with an in house recruiter then phone interview with medical director then in person interview (or Zoom now I guess).

I personally did not use a recruiting agency. Their sole motivation is to get you placed even if it might not be a good fit. They also tend to represent less desirable jobs in my opinion.