Questions. Please help!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fonefly

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I just have a hard question and hopes you guys give some comments. I am an undergraduate currently enrolled in SUNY Stony Brook, majoring in pharmacology/biochemistry, and next year, I will be a junior. I got accepted into NYU, transfer, and my major is biochemistry. Furthermore, my tuitions will be covered in both schools by an external scholarship. My question is that, should I go to NYU for the prestige so that I can have a better chance? The factors are as followed:

Stony Brook (NY)
1. Stronger science program for biochem
2. Already engaged in research this year
3. Tuition covered
4. Familiar with the place
5. So far, GPAs are ok for med school
6. Public school
7. Can do a program in university hospital

NYU (NY)
1. Prestige
2. Maybe have to find research again.
3. Smaller class sizes so may be better get prof. recommendations
4. More hospital resources to get more experiences.
5. It's private.
6. tuition covered
7. Look good for employers for summer programs/jobs.

Currently, I am just not sure which way would better maximize my chance to get into med schools. If you were me, which way you would go? Please give any comments and opinions. Thanks very much.

Members don't see this ad.

In the end it is not the university, but rather the quality of the instruction that you receive. For example, if you go to a prestigious school that inflates their student's GPA's and get a crappy MCAT score that will look REALLY BAD. On the other hand if you go to a decent but "NOT DUKE" school like I did and get a decent GPA with an MCAT score that correlates then you look better.

In the end, it is up to you though....

Good Luck...

Thanks for replying. Anyone have other comments? Thanks for your helps.

studenttrauma said:
In the end it is not the university, but rather the quality of the instruction that you receive. For example, if you go to a prestigious school that inflates their student's GPA's and get a crappy MCAT score that will look REALLY BAD. On the other hand if you go to a decent but "NOT DUKE" school like I did and get a decent GPA with an MCAT score that correlates then you look better.

In the end, it is up to you though....

Good Luck...