questions questions questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bustbones26

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay you guys all knwo the drill, you sign up for HPSP, know the basics, but then after you sign up you never hear from the recruiter again!

I have a few questions about HPSP that hopefully somebody here can answer.

1) I understand that the time you spend in med school does not count toward retirement for the military. When do they start counting, when you begin residency?

2) You payback time can be more than 4 years if you do, say a five year residency, e.g. surgery. Okay for say surgery, one year internship, then four years of general surgery residency, what is your payback time. Some tell me its five years, and others say, no, only four because your internship year doesn't count? Who is correct?

3) When your payback period is over, if you were to sign up for the reserves or national guard to continue your service time to 20 years to be eligible for retirement, are you eligible for TRICARE when you retire. I mean, I know that to retire you have to pout in 20 years, but I suppose what I am asking is, if you put in say 10 years active, then 10 years reserve or guard, are you eligible for TRICARE when you retire? I know EVERYBODY get VA care, but myself, I'd rather be in TRICARE?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a few questions about HPSP that hopefully somebody here can answer.

1) I understand that the time you spend in med school does not count toward retirement for the military. When do they start counting, when you begin residency?

YOUR MED SCHOOL YEARS DO NOT COUNT, YOUR MILITARY TIME STARTS THE DAY YOU GRADUATE FROM MED-SCHOOL, THAT IS YOU "PAY ENTRY BASE DATE", THOUGH YOU WON'T GET A PAYCHECK UNTIL YOU CHECK IN TO INTERNSHIP.

2) You payback time can be more than 4 years if you do, say a five year residency, e.g. surgery. Okay for say surgery, one year internship, then four years of general surgery residency, what is your payback time. Some tell me its five years, and others say, no, only four because your internship year doesn't count? Who is correct?

IF YOU WERE ABLE TO GET INTO SURGERY WITH NO INTERVENING GMO TOUR (WON'T HAPPEN IN THE NAVY), THEN YOU WOULD OWE 4 YEARS AFTER RESIDENCY. YOUR INTERNSHIP COUNTS NEITHER FOR NOR AGAINST YOU. HOWEVER, IF YOU DO INTERNSHHIP, THEN A 2 YEAR GMO TOUR YOU'VE ELIMINATED 2 YEARS OF YOUR 4 YOU OWE. YOU GO BACK TO A 4 YEAR RESIDENCY (SURGERY, RADIOLOGY, ETC.). WHEN YOU GET DONE YOU OWE 4 YEARS. BASICALLY, YOUR OBLIGATIONS ARE SERVED CONCURRENTLY, SO WHICHEVER IS LONGER IS WHAT YOU OWE. SAME APPLIES TO USUHS, WHO OWE SEVEN YEARS FOR MED SCHOOL.

3) When your payback period is over, if you were to sign up for the reserves or national guard to continue your service time to 20 years to be eligible for retirement, are you eligible for TRICARE when you retire. I mean, I know that to retire you have to pout in 20 years, but I suppose what I am asking is, if you put in say 10 years active, then 10 years reserve or guard, are you eligible for TRICARE when you retire? I know EVERYBODY get VA care, but myself, I'd rather be in TRICARE?

IF YOU DO NOT DO 20 YEARS ON ACTIVE DUTY, YOUR RETIREMENT DOES NOT GO INTO EFFECT UNTIL AGE 60. YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR FULL RETIREMENT BENEFITS, INCLUDING TRICARE UNTIL THEN. THIS VS. A FULL ACTIVE DUTY CAREER ELIGIBLE AT 20 YEARS AND 1 DAY, WHENEVER THAT HAPPENS TO BE.

HOPE THAT ALL HELPS
DD

If you go to USUHS you also don't count the 4 years of med school towards retirement but we do get paid for 24 years of service when we retire vs getting paid for 20. At 2.5% increase/ additional year after 20 that adds up to 60% of our base pay vs 50%.

I hope that made sense.

ENS Rotatores