Questions Regarding VA Job Offers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clinpsych

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've applied for a number of VA jobs, some of which are more attractive to me than others. I am looking for advice on how SDNers would proceed if they got an offer from a less favored position before a more favored position. If these were jobs for separate employers, I could always accept the less favored position with the option to re-evaluate if I got offered an interview or offer for a more favored position, but given that all of these positions are VA, I'm not sure if that would even be an option (e.g., if HR at the various VAs can see my application or hiring status at other VAs). Given that the VA processes new hires at a snail's pace, it would really stink to miss out on a preferred position for a less preferred position whose start date is months away. I want to act with integrity, but at the same time, this is an important decision that will have ramifications for my career path and quality of life.

I'm currently between positions (so I don't feel like I can wait around for the "perfect" fit), but I wouldn't say that I'm feeling desperate. I should be fairly competitive for the positions for which I applied (e.g., have prior VA experience, have gotten VA job offers in the past, etc).

Any thoughts or advice on this situation?

And any advice on navigating the VA hiring process in general? I've heard that I should advocate for my VA fellowship to count toward my years of federal experience. Should I advocate for myself in any other ways (in terms of steps, benefits, etc)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I work for the VA - I think they are all different in terms of HR and how deeply they delve into your other applications, etc. I do know that they are all very busy. If I were in your shoes I would contact HR at the VA I was most interested in and advise them of the other offer. It may or may not get them to move faster, but they could at least update you on your status, etc. I've seen VAs lose great applicants for that reason. But there's so many steps to it that it almost can't be moved faster in some cases.
Your fellowship should automatically count. My internship did. You likely won't get any step increases for any reason, even specialized knowledge, but if you have specialized knowledge you should push for the step increase anyway because once you're in the system you are pretty much stuck with the step you have unless you do something like obtain board certification, etc.

The internship and fellowship will count towards experience as far as your leave time (i.e., getting 6 hours of leave per pay period instead of 4 after 3 years) but it will not count towards retirement years. Also, people rarely get extra steps, especially when starting out, unless you're at a very non-desirable location where they are having a difficult time recruiting. Relo will only be authorized if the position statement had it authorized as far as I know. And your benefits are your benefits, no room to negotiate there.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with everything that's been said above. If you already have professional experience (i.e., beyond internship/post-doc), you're more likely to be able to negotiate a higher step than if you don't. Certainly doesn't hurt to ask, though; I did, and the HR person was honest in saying that I wouldn't qualify, but she didn't blame me for checking. As WisNeuro mentioned, anything that's listed in the actual job posting (e.g., relocation benefits, student loan repayment reimbursement, etc.) is fair game to at least ask into. Conversely, if it's not mentioned in the job posting, HR won't be authorized to offer it, no matter how much they or the hiring folks may want to give it to you. Related to that, if you do negotiate any additional benefits, ALWAYS get it in writing.

Also agreed that if you get an offer at a less-desired spot, call up the folks you've been in contact with at the more-desired location (whether that's HR, the program manager, another psychologist or employee, etc.), let them know about the offer, and see if they're able to give you any additional information. Some VAs will actually move surprisingly quickly (e.g., I got a call from one the day after I submitted an application), at least through the first few steps, while others may take months just to review paperwork.

Oh, and yes, again as WisNeuro said--if your fellowship was with the VA and you were paid through the VA, it'll count toward some benefits (e.g., leave accumulation), but not others (e.g., FERS/retirement). And you'll still have the first "probationary" year (and the even more probationary first 90 days) whenever you start.

In response to WisNeuro's point about relocation and negotiation. I was what I believe to be a direct hire (I applied for another position, didn't get it, and they offered me a position that had not been posted yet). I negotiated relocation incentive, tour of duty, start date, and had some relevant non-federal work experience counted for leave accrual purposes. I didn't ask about step level, in part because I was very satisfied with everything else. I wanted to mention these because other folks I knew assumed there was no room to negotiate in the VA and didn't even ask. It may sometimes be cut and dry when it comes to what you can negotiate or not, but may not always. I'm not sure what's safe to assume. I do know at least at our VA there were set rules for what GS level you came in at that depended on years of experience post-doctorate and licensure.

Yeah, direct hires are under a different set of rules, they aren't held to the rigid guidelines that posted positions are. GS level is not negotiable. Step can be negotiable, but only with other work experience beyond postdoc. benefits such as 401k, insurance, etc are non-negotiable.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and advice!

Additional question -

There is a specific VA where I would like to end up eventually (that is not currently hiring). How much of an advantage would taking a position within the same VISN as the desired VA (versus taking a VA position in another VISN) offer? In other words, how much easier is it to move around within a given VISN as opposed to moving around between VISNs?

More specifically, it seems as if this may come down to Possibility A (which is within the same VISN as Dream VA) versus Possibility B (which is geographically closer to Dream VA than Possibility A, but in a different VISN). I think that Possibility B is a stronger VA than Possibility A, but I'm not sure how much that reputation would be known outside the VISN/to Dream VA.

Thoughts?

At least in terms of how we'd handle it from a Neuropsychology perspective, being in the same VISN would confer almost no benefit when it comes to hiring. Also, the couple other times I've been involved with hiring outside of neuro, I can't remember this ever being discussed as a factor.

Additional question -

There is a specific VA where I would like to end up eventually (that is not currently hiring). How much of an advantage would taking a position within the same VISN as the desired VA (versus taking a VA position in another VISN) offer? In other words, how much easier is it to move around within a given VISN as opposed to moving around between VISNs?

More specifically, it seems as if this may come down to Possibility A (which is within the same VISN as Dream VA) versus Possibility B (which is geographically closer to Dream VA than Possibility A, but in a different VISN). I think that Possibility B is a stronger VA than Possibility A, but I'm not sure how much that reputation would be known outside the VISN/to Dream VA.

Thoughts?

This will almost certainly be a non-issue. That is, no benefit.

Agreed, no real benefit. The one caveat would be if being in the same VISN would allow you to get to know folks at the VA at which you'd like to end up better, which might not confer a huge advantage, but it couldn't hurt.

Based on the options as you've described them, it sounds like Possibility B would be the better choice.