Questions you wish you'd asked

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Recycled

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever been laid off and wish they'd asked more details during the "conversation" with HR? Our company routinely lets pharmacists go, so I am starting a list such as the typical questions about severance pay and that sort of thing. Some of this is covered in the employee handbook, but I thought there might be little things I wish I'd asked later.

Members don't see this ad.

Something I wished I had asked HR: "So, was the new guy brought in with specific instructions to slowly shut down our division over the course of 12 months, or did we arrive at today's result due to his gross incompetence?"

Yes, I'm still bitter. :rage:

If you know it is coming, read up on the policies in your handbook. Write down questions where you are unclear about what the expectations are, both of the company and yourself. Make sure you understand what you should expect to receive (it is usually based upon a formula based upon length of employment), and then make sure the company delivers.

at that point there is nothing you can do to save your job, best bet to it make sure you maximize any severance and be prepared ahead of time (most people that I know that have been laid off knew it is was coming or at least knew there was a strong possibility) so you know all your rights.

If they person that is doing it is a good friend/acquaintance of yours - there is always a chance to ask for referrals and potential job openings