Quick Interview Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JVav

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a bit of a predicament and am looking for some advice. So, I got my first II on this Monday, and the two dates of interest were 10/27 (next Monday) and 12/1. I signed up for the 12/1 date knowing that I needed to get a suit and that it may be difficult for me to get one that fits because I am 6'7''. Well, I was told that I should try to move it up, so I did; however, the 10/27 date was already taken. I got a call this afternoon that another spot for 10/27 opened, and they wanted to know if I could fill it. I wasn't able to answer the phone at the time, so I couldn't ask the admission representative. My question for you, SDN, is how important is a suit for the interview? I know it is probably the preferred attire, but is it bad if I don't come in a suit? Will it hurt my chances of being accepted? I would like to move up the interview if possible (more early acceptance opportunities), but do not want to do so at the detriment to myself.

So I turn to you all for some advice!

Members don't see this ad.

A suit is required for the interview.

Why'd you wait this long to get a suit?

Regardless, don't go without a suit.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've attended 4 interviews and only seen 1 guy without a suit.

Basically you will stand out if you don't have a suit (not in a good way).

Advice taken. I will decline the spot. Thank you all for prompt responses <3

You have the whole weekend to get a suit, I don't understand why this is a problem
OP is 6'7". He'll need to either alter store bought suit or go for tailor made. Both options take at least a couple weeks. If you know this magic place where people who fall out of the normal height/weight distribution can get a fitted suit over the weekend, please share. I really hope people can be less dismissive about other people's problems.

Reactions: 3 users
OP is 6'7". He'll need to either alter store bought suit or go for tailor made. Both options take at least a couple weeks. If you know this magic place where people who fall out of the normal height/weight distribution can get a fitted suit over the weekend, please share. I really hope people can be less dismissive about other people's problems.

I really don't think SweetFast was being dismissive. I agree with them; there are specialty stores that cater specifically to tall clients (i.e. Destination XL). I believe Men's Warehouse even has suits off the rack for the very tall. Yes, they wouldn't be perfect, but they may be close. My father is 6'6" and was able to acquire a properly fitting tuxedo over a weekend a few years ago.

If there are absolutely no stores near him that can cater to his needs, fine. But to claim that someone is being dismissive for pointing out that there may be options to explore seems rude.

I am in fact getting a suit from Men's Wearhouse, but they only have one suit in all of their stores in the US that is my size. As for the pant bottoms, they said I am the only person who is "too tall" for the unhemmed pants that they sell in conjunction with the suits. They have to hem it as little as possible in order for it to still fit. The problem with many specialty stores is that they are Big and Tall, I need a Big or Tall. I am 6'7'' and 190 pounds, and most of my height is in my legs (I wear a 34x38).

Regardless, thanks for all of your help!