Quick 'n easy KA P/S Weber's Law passage question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustinM88

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score

image hosting

Seems like it should be an easy one but for some reason I'm not clear on it...

Members don't see this ad.

I think the best way to approach this is from the experimenter's goal- to see if Weber's law holds true or not. From this graph, you can see that for a given intensity, the needed change in intensity in order for the subject to feel the difference in stimuli. Weber's law says that there is a fixed ratio b/w the change in the intensity of the stimuli compared to the original intensity in order for a noticeable difference to occur. However, from this graph, while we do see the change in intensity, we aren't able to see the baseline activity or the response to the normal stimulus. So, from the graph, it becomes hard to actually make a comparison between a just noticeable difference and what the normal intensity of the stimulus causes, which is an aspect of Weber's law. Seems more of an experimental design type of question to me, as I do agree that it is a bit confusing, since we know that Weber's law tells us that a graph of delta I / I would produce a linear relationship (which we do see here).

Reactions: 1 user
I think the best way to approach this is from the experimenter's goal- to see if Weber's law holds true or not. From this graph, you can see that for a given intensity, the needed change in intensity in order for the subject to feel the difference in stimuli. Weber's law says that there is a fixed ratio b/w the change in the intensity of the stimuli compared to the original intensity in order for a noticeable difference to occur. However, from this graph, while we do see the change in intensity, we aren't able to see the baseline activity or the response to the normal stimulus. So, from the graph, it becomes hard to actually make a comparison between a just noticeable difference and what the normal intensity of the stimulus causes, which is an aspect of Weber's law. Seems more of an experimental design type of question to me, as I do agree that it is a bit confusing, since we know that Weber's law tells us that a graph of delta I / I would produce a linear relationship (which we do see here).

What is “the baseline activity or the response to the normal stimulus” in this case?