quick question for those in HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SAEbrodel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

i recently spoke with an Army recruiter (soon will speak to a Navy recruiter) about the HPSP program, and the many benefits of it. I just wanted to hear people's views of the program, now that they are underway. What are the pro's and cons, do you enjoy it, and what were your reasons? I want to join the military med. corps because not only would it help pay for med school, but I'd love to serve my country, and learn what the military has to offer. Thanks for looking, and your responses are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys,

i recently spoke with an Army recruiter (soon will speak to a Navy recruiter) about the HPSP program, and the many benefits of it. I just wanted to hear people's views of the program, now that they are underway. What are the pro's and cons, do you enjoy it, and what were your reasons? I want to join the military med. corps because not only would it help pay for med school, but I'd love to serve my country, and learn what the military has to offer. Thanks for looking, and your responses are appreciated!

Have you read ANY of the stickies???????? There is a litany of comments, opinions and tall tales on them. The Pros and Cons stickie would be a great place to start.

Most who post on this site have had negative experiences, but others (myself included) have enjoyed thier time in the service. The one thing we all agree on is that you should not join for the money. Service has to be your priority. The money is just a very nice addition.

Have you read ANY of the stickies???????? There is a litany of comments, opinions and tall tales on them. The Pros and Cons stickie would be a great place to start.

Most who post on this site have had negative experiences, but others (myself included) have enjoyed thier time in the service. The one thing we all agree on is that you should not join for the money. Service has to be your priority. The money is just a very nice addition.

At first glance I must assume he's trolling, but he seems so sincere. Here's a quick list:

Pros
1) Money in med school, tuition paid
2) Opportunity to serve country
3) Probably earn more in residency
4) Possibly unique opportunities (more rare than generally advertised)
5) Great (although not intellectually stimulating) patient population

Cons
1) Military match/forced GMO tours/below average GME
2) Low, low pay after residency
3) No say in where you live
4) No say in your work environment
5) Military BS
6) Deployments
7) Low acuity/inability to practice your specialty/skill attrition

Good luck with your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have taken a look at the stickies, thanks for the recommendations

Thank you ActiveDuty for the pros and cons list, helped a lot.

The reason why I posted here was to see if I can find some personal incite, and advice that some may have for me. I applied to USUHS and was disqualified due to asthma, so I truly think HPSP is a route I'd like to explore. ActiveDuty, which branch are you in, and what were ur reasons for joining?

I have taken a look at the stickies, thanks for the recommendations

Thank you ActiveDuty for the pros and cons list, helped a lot.

The reason why I posted here was to see if I can find some personal incite, and advice that some may have for me. I applied to USUHS and was disqualified due to asthma, so I truly think HPSP is a route I'd like to explore. ActiveDuty, which branch are you in, and what were ur reasons for joining?

I wanted to serve my country, live overseas and have an adventure before I settled down to my practice, and had a severe debt aversion I have since overcome. :)

P.S. It's insight.