Quick question re: Berkeley Extension professors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LondonBear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, sorry, this question is awfully specific, so it's not going to help 99.9% of the people here.

I've searched old SDN posts as well as RateMyProfessors, so I've definitely done as much research as I can. There's very limited amount of info, which is why I'm here.

I've been out of college for many years, so I need a fresh science LOR. I've missed most of the classes' enrollment deadlines, and my current two options are:
1. Ochem I with Richard Samuelson, or
2. Virology with Aung Chein

I can take either class. In terms of PROs, Ochem I has the advantage of being aligned with my MCAT studying, but I'd have to travel a bit to get to the Berkeley campus (plus the cost of gas and bridge toll). Virology's advantage is the fact that I live right next to the SF campus, it's a 2 minute walk.

My main priority is getting a strong LOR. To that end, my top priority is a prof who's nice and eager to help students succeed. Whether the class is engaging, commute time, etc all take a backseat. I'll take a strong letter written by a not-famous person over a bland one by a Nobel prize winner (an exaggeration, but you get what I mean). A great prof who's super busy can actually be a con, due to them not having the time to get to know you. To that end, my personality is also not sparkling; I'm not a suave social butterfly, so I probably can't stand out among a sea of students.

All that to ask those who have had either prof: do you think they're great for LOR writing? Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.