QUITTING SCRIBE- SHOULD I ???? PLEASE HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Addiec122

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If your goal is to go to medical school, quit. Grades matter more than ECs (more specifically, bad grades hurt much more than a missing extracurricular activity will). You'll eventually have to learn how to handle juggling large amounts of work, but that's a skill that can be developed over time and is best not learned the hard way, if possible. Biting off more than you can chew is probably the most common mistake people make as pre meds and as med students.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I took this job over the summer thinking I would be able to handle it with school. Before scribbing i had another job that was incredibly flexible and with scribe you are required 2 shifts minimum. Sometimes im schedule more than that, other times im scheduled less hours.

However i am taking ochem 2, physics 1, bio , and another class. i am incredibly behind in all of them and its only the 3rd week.

I worked soo hard to get this job, and honestly i still struggle with this job. My manger says that i am not at the same speed as the other 3 people that she hired.

I would like to continue to work there but my gpa is not the best and so my grades are super important. I am afraid to quit because they will have to pick up my slack. I just do not see another option.

there are also things about this job i do not like, and there are things i do. so im soo confused! what should i do? please any tips would be helpful!

Those grades in your core pre reqs you listed are far more important that scribing.

I'm a scribe too and I appreciate your sentiment about how hard it is just to get on the floor actually working. But it sounds like you're spread too thin. Scribe assist the healthcare team but aren't an integral aspect of it ; you can quit and they will be fine without you.

If your goal is to go to medical school, quit. Grades matter more than ECs (more specifically, bad grades hurt much more than a missing extracurricular activity will). You'll eventually have to learn how to handle juggling large amounts of work, but that's a skill that can be developed over time and is best not learned the hard way, if possible. Biting off more than you can chew is probably the most common mistake people make as pre meds and as med students.

i am afraid to quit because i know that they have this 2 year commitment thing and others will have to pick up my slack since they schedule you a month in advance, i am so afraid to even approach her...and not only that but im afraid that im loosing out on a great opportunity you know?

School comes first so if you're at risk of not getting the grades you need then drop the job, assuming you can pay for everything you need.

However, you really should be able to handle a part time job and school/obligations. If you just don't enjoy the job then find something else and move on. Scribing won't be for everyone.

i am afraid to quit because i know that they have this 2 year commitment thing and others will have to pick up my slack since they schedule you a month in advance, i am so afraid to even approach her...and not only that but im afraid that im loosing out on a great opportunity you know?

They cant really force you to work 2 years, especially if its part time. Honestly I was just recently hired too as a scribe and it does take up a good bit of time. So when I start studying for the MCAT in December, I'll most likely quit my scribe job as well just to be on the safer side.

I talked with the chief scribe and he said that they always hire more people, and they do expect like a 50%+ turn over rate within the first year of people getting hired

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user

Sure. It won't be pleasant to quit and to leave others hanging. But you have to be an adult and be honest. You'll be making decisions much more difficult than this for the rest of your life. It would be ideal to give a 2 week notice, but if you can't, you can't. Everyone will survive. The physicians you're working for don't need scribes to function.

Also i would like to say i have plenty of "clinical" hours, i volunteer and shadow during the summer, as well as have 2 great doctors who are my mentors who will write me great letters of rec.
Your goal is med school, and your challenging courses are requiring more of your time, but your scribe job is cutting into study time, and you do not care for the job. Your answer should be self-evident.

You're here to become a doctor. Not a professional scribe. Good ECs and work experiences can make a good application look better... But they will never make a bad application because of grades look better. So many people get caught up in the entry-level clinical job trap and it sinks them. Quit as soon as possible and don't burn any bridges.

And as for picking up your slack, it's their responsibility as an employer to deal with turnover. If you aren't performing well, they would fire you for that or any other reason. The only people that will be loyal to you are your family, not an employer. Don't jeopardize the rest of your life over them. If bridges are burned, then leave it off your app. Problem solved.

I would quit. Doesn't sound worth it at all.