Quoted: academic dishonesty undergrad and effect on admission

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was accused of violating the Academic Honesty policy from one of my teachers. I wanted to get a head-start on a project that we have, but in the syllabus it states that you can't ask for any outside help without consulting with the teacher first. Well, since it was the first day... I asked a different faculty member for a connection that had to do with my project... my teacher found out, and is accusing me of violating the academic honesty policy.

I'm extremely nervous since I had no idea my action was in violation of this policy. Yes it was on the syllabus, but I guess I was so anxious to get started I didn't read it (who reads those things anyways, lol). I'm very scared that this is going to ruin my chances of getting into medschool. I did not mean to cheat or violate this policy....; if I had the slightest inclination I was doing such an act, I would have never even thought about doing it.

I contacted my teacher about it so maybe we can talk (he's a bit stern so I doubt he'll want to) in order to have it removed from my record. If it's not... can someone explain how medschools will see this, and how I can let them know that this was a completely unintentional act.

Thank you.

It's not clear what point you are at in college or the application process. My recommendation is that you continue to try to get the charge minimized or overturned. If it does stay on your record, then, you'll need to explain it without blaming the professor and by admitting that you realize you made a mistake by not reading the rules (at least). My opinion is that if you are not suspended from school or given an F in the class, this probably wouldn't be a deal-breaker for med schools.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not clear what point you are at in college or the application process. My recommendation is that you continue to try to get the charge minimized or overturned. If it does stay on your record, then, you'll need to explain it without blaming the professor and by admitting that you realize you made a mistake by not reading the rules (at least). My opinion is that if you are not suspended from school or given an F in the class, this probably wouldn't be a deal-breaker for med schools.

I question the teachers definition of academic dishonesty. Academic dishonesty is a form of cheating. A university setting is designed to promote creativity, application of knowledge, and achievement. Looking to a teacher for what sounds like some direction in getting help for an assigned project may not actually be academic dishonesty. Cheating on a test is a lot different than asking a faculty member for help, regardless of instruction or circumstance. You did nothing wrong. And do not state you did something wrong unless you think you really did. And you didn't.

Nobody asks a teacher for help if there is an intent to be dishonest. You were trying to do an assignment with enthusiasm and are being punished for your enthusiasm and love of learning and achieving.

In the event that your future career would be adversely affected by this individual's misguided misrepresentations of your character, I would most certainly recommend legal counsel...but I doubt it would come to that.

So what to do? hard to know at which point to jump in at. You could wait it out and see if anything comes of this. ( It might not- no impact). You could take it up with a University Ombudsman for opinion. You could, if affecting your permanent record, especially beyond a grade, follow a formal grievance procedure based on your otherwise clean record and, as outlined above, above board motivations.

Should you talk directly to the offending teacher? Perhaps. That's a hard call. It would be nice if you could. You could meet, with the goal being to get out of the door with another, perhaps more difficult indvidual assignment and a handshake. realize you cannot truly control his response, but you are laying the groundwork for a documented effort at resolution so the onus is on him to deny you the opportunity to make good on what was a simple misunderstanding.

I wouldn't take this type of crap, as you are presenting it, lying down though. But I think the best solution is to try and resolve with the direct accusing professor and offer up double work, a few hail mary's, and a few lashes, suck it up and move on. I'd make it clear that you politely disagree with a labeling of your character as dishonest in a way that might be unintentionally defaming. He'll get what you are saying, I assure you....if you get what I am saying.

As somebody who recently taught college courses (had an offer to do this as part of my PhD project) at a university, I recommend that you find out what the rules concerning academic dishonesty are. It could very well be the case that your school has a policy that any case referred to the honors council (or whatever the body is called the handles the cheating offenses) cannot be discussed outside this setting. If your school has a similiar rule, you'd be -once more- offending against school policy if you were to contact the instructor.

Don't write about the syllabus "I didn't read it (who reads those things anyways, lol)." LOL?? That is simply immature. A syllabus is a binding document. Now go and read the rules concerning academic dishonesty. If you cannot find them, go and ask you academic dean, s/he will provide you with a copy.

Good luck.