Quoted: Bad grades as a senior and existing med school acceptance

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think that if med schools pulled acceptances from everyone that got a couple of C's as a senior there would be a bunch of "empty" seats.

I was accepted to Medical school, to start in fall of 2011. Part of my acceptance packet mentioned my acceptance being contingent on the satisfactory completion of my remaining coursework.

I'm concerned because by the time I interviewed I had already completed a semester that was "in progress" when I submitted my primary and secondary applications. I made a pair of bad grades that semester. A C- in analytical chemistry, and a C in human anatomy. It was a tough semester for me, as I was taking the MCAT, submitting apps, and dealing with my analytical chem professor who informed me it was not his job to teach me the material outside of lecture time (essentially meaning that he wasn't interested in clarifying anything for office hours).

I didn't want to take the analytical chem class in the first place. I'm not a chemistry major, and it was tough for even the chem majors in our class. But it fulfilled two graduation requirements and would get me graduated in time to apply for the class of 2015. I think it was a mistake to take anatomy too since I had already completed all the requirements for med-school admissions at that point. I learned a lot, but scored lower than average in two of the exams.

Anyway, the school I got into knew when I should have completed that semester, but they didn't ask me about it during file reviews.

I'm thrilled to start, but worried that when I submit my final undergrad transcripts that they'll pull my acceptance and prevented from matriculating.

The other two classes I took that semester were A- and A. This final semester I'm going to get the following grades:A, A, B. (Health Communication and Instruction, Health Services Administration, and Marketing for non-business majors).

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

You know the med school is going to know about your final grades sooner or later. I would say to go directly to them with your concerns and see if they have any suggestions! I will not wait till they notice your grades since they expect from you 100% honesty + 100% of accountability and taking responsibility for making any wrong decisions (taking two hard classes when you didn't need to). Having these characteristics will prove to the school that you are a medical school material worth investing in.
Good luck:luck::luck:

Even before I got my final grades second semester, I was worried I was going to FAIL inorganic chemisry II, because it was all based on one exam and I had not kept up with class AT ALL. So I went to my future med school admissions dean and said-- "what happens if I fail this class?"- she said she didn't care-- It's my classwork up to admissions that mattered and if I had one poor grade it was understandable.

Every school is different, but wanted to offer this tidbit.

Aww man...I was in your situation a couple of years ago. Got a couple of Cs and was really freaked out. :oops:

A lot of med students do have a dip after submitting their application. I was holding acceptances at 3 schools at the time. I was too nervous to identify myself so I called the admissions office of each school and asked directly "If a student got ______". Fortunately, they understood that it was an uncomfortable question and no one asked me to identify myself. Try it! You need to know their answer and it's a little easier when you are anonymous.

Btw-2 of the schools told me that the admissions comittee would have to re-review my file. :( But the school that I'm currently at (top tier) was very understanding. As long as I passed all of their prereqs, they were fine. I actually ended declining those two schools early because I realized that there are intangible benefits that accompany a supportive environment.

Please do find out. Not having the information can only blindside you. And who knows? Perhaps you'll find yourself in a much better situation than you could have anticipated:xf:

Btw, a friend got a C and a few Bs after applying and it didn't hurt him with UCLA at all.