Quoted: med student questions

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) I have noticed that when i enter the room to ask patient Qs, I sometimes either forgot to ask Q or forgot to do some part of physical exam like not looking into ears but checking everything else. I realize it when I present and preceptor starts asking Qs.
I know what to do but i kinda forget to do something when i enter the room.

2) It takes too much time to write notes like 2 hrs for 3 -4 pts. I tend to read everything on the chart and computer along with asking nurses and interviewing patients. Also, I think i write a lot for example summary of all studies done and etc.

3) Kinda have hard time putting things together when preceptor asks me. Then when he brings it to my attention, I realize that i know this and i read abt it 2 days back.
Find that its hard to recall info that i have read in book/journal when i want it.

4) I'm amazed by how people can recall pts from their rotations which i can't. They can recall it while solving UW qs.

I wish i can because i believe it helps retain and learn info better if i can associate it with pts that i see and recall those pts.
Looking back at third year, I can't tell what i learned from what rotation. Its all fuzzy.

Does this gets better with experience like this?

I don't want to be a crappy doctor. I want to be thorough and I have become increasingly thorough over the span of third year. But, i don't want kick in the butt to retain and recall info and become good doctor.

Plan is to read common topics from harrisons and washington manual before residency starts,

any help/recommendation/advice appreciated?

Sounds like a typical med student to me. Really, it does improve with time. There are definitely residents who are faster and some who are slower. Think carefully about specialty choice if you are on the "really slower" side. This won't make you a bad doctor, but may make life miserable for you in some specialties more than others.

Members don't see this ad.

From the OP:

If I am allowed to write my A&P and dictate rest then i will be faster. But, def not if i have to write everything down.

what specialty field would you recommend for SLOWERS? I have 202/217
Considering IM - hospitalist, pulm/cc, nephro.

Primary care residencies are a good choice although both IM and pedi give you the most specialty options. Perhaps psychiatry as well if that interests you.