About the ads

R.Ph vs. Pharm.D.

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by star777, Jul 22, 2005.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. star777

star777 Member

SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    What is an R.Ph? Is it different from a Pharm.D.? One of the doctors I volunteer with is an R.Ph, not a Pharm.D. Is it still ok to get a LOR from him?
  2. rxforlife2004

rxforlife2004 Removed

Non-Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    RPh = registered Pharmacist = someone who already graduated at an accredited pharmacy school (obtaining BS or Pharm.D) and went through the registration process to become one R.Ph.

Pharm.D = degree awarded to those who attend pharmacy school...it doesn't mean these indivitual already registered with the board of pharmacy.

Most pharmacists in practice are R.Ph, Pharm.D.
  3. LVPharm

LVPharm SDN Moderator

Non-Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I have a Pharm.D. degree, and according to the board of pharmacy, I am licensed as an R.Ph. This is just the designation of a "registered pharmacist". If, suppose I didn't apply for a license to practice pharmacy (and pass the requisite board exams), I would not be an RPh, I would only have my Pharm.D. degree. Often, older pharmacists who graduated with the BSPharm degree will use RPh at the end of their name. I suppose I can use either, or both a Pharm.D. and the RPh, but to do so would be superfluous. I just use Pharm.D. As for your LOR, anyone in pharmacy knows what an RPh is, and will not question the value of the LOR based on whether or not the writer had a baccalaureate in pharmacy, or a doctorate. A pharmacist is a pharmacist, regardless of the letters they attach to their name.
  4. lord999

lord999 Senior Member Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacist
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    Not necessarily true.
    There are 140 pharmacists in AZ that DO NOT have a college degree at all. They just took the boards. The BOP's don't allow this anymore, Minnesota was the last to grant the title of Rph without a degree in 1976. Rph just means that you are a registered pharmacist that passed with the qualifications at the time. Pharm.D. is an academic title that is wholly separate from the licensing part. You can have the degree but not be licensed, although it generally implies such because most states have laws against self-identification as a "pharmacist" if you don't have a license. So my name would be written "lord999, Pharm.D., R.Ph."

For historical reference in AZ:
    ~140 pharmacists do not have a degree
    ~3 have a preWWII Pharmaceutical Chemist qualification (Ph.C., Ph.B., Ph,M., D.Ph.)
    The rest have B.S. Pharm. or Pharm. D.
  5. ilovepharmacy

ilovepharmacy ilovepharmacy

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    for 1 AM, this was such an interesting fact to me.. :laugh:
  6. ProZackMI

ProZackMI Psychiatrist/Attorney

Attending Physician
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    There are so many good answers here, I can't add anything of substance other than the R.Ph. is a professional designation, like an R.N., which indicates licensure based on education rather than just education, whereas the PharmD indicates a professional degree only.

Like most of the posters already indicated, you can be a PharmD and RPh. Previously, when pharmacists only earned BS degrees, they appended RPh after their names since no one signs their name with a BA/BS degree. Now that they have professional doctorates, pharmacists usually append the PharmD after their names and don't include the RPh since it's assumed.
  7. danielguelman

danielguelman

Pharmacist
    I am a Pharmacist, living in Argentina.
    We have no board for certification purposes.
    When I obtained my degree, I certified in the "Pharmacist Board", but it is not mandatory if you do not want to work in a pharmacy or in a hospital.
    I have my number, but I am no longer member of that board, since I work in a pharmaceutical company.

My question is: I have to use RPh, PharmD, BA or BS?

Thank you in advance for your prompt answer!
    D
  8. pharmaJUST2007

pharmaJUST2007

Pharmacy Student
    Hi everybody
    i'm new here andi don't know how things work here :)
    i'm a pharamcy student ( i study abroad not in the USA) and i want to switch to PharmD .. concerning me ,it's kind of a confusing choice , i'd like if u can tell me what is the advantages and disadvantage of bieng a PharmD.
    thanks alot
  9. Farmercyst

Farmercyst Lowest common denominator Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist SDN 7+ Year Member
    I know it's a month old, but for the sake of completion:
    What is your degree? PharmD,BA, or BS or neither.
    Are you a Registered Pharmacist (Rph)? The answer to these questions should give you some idea.
  10. MountainPharmD

MountainPharmD custodiunt illud simplex

Pharmacist
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    A month old ****....The first post is from 7-23-2005! Now thats bring something back from the dead!
  11. ffpickle

ffpickle Thread Killer

SDN 2+ Year Member
    40000 views and 10 replies i love it
  12. Farmercyst

Farmercyst Lowest common denominator Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacist
    Pharmacist SDN 7+ Year Member
    The post I quoted was 1 month. But I know.

Bring out your dead
    Bring out your dead.