RA vs. Lab Manager

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foremma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much weight being an RA or lab manager would be in post-undergrad work before applying to a PsyD or PhD?

Besides the time commitment (RA being approximately 30 less hours a week), do grad schools favor one?

Also, typically, does the lab manager have much less opportunity to do actual research, and instead focus on managerial things? Or, do they usually do a ton more research AND managerial things, and then get a better chance at being published?

Sorry for all the questions! I appreciate any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how much weight being an RA or lab manager would be in post-undergrad work before applying to a PsyD or PhD?

Besides the time commitment (RA being approximately 30 less hours a week), do grad schools favor one?

Also, typically, does the lab manager have much less opportunity to do actual research, and instead focus on managerial things? Or, do they usually do a ton more research AND managerial things, and then get a better chance at being published?

Seems like an issue of semantics IMO, though I could be wrong. Is the RA vs. lab Manager position available from the same lab or research team?

Generally those terms seems somewhat interchangable to me, with Lab Manager maybe holding a bit more prestige. The RA position actually has 30 less hours per week? Seems like a BIG difference in time commitment.

This depends on the setting of the position, how many other RAs there are, if there is another coordinator, etc. I have been in labs where the research coordinator did everything- most of the research, the managerial stuff, writing pubs, training other RAs, clinical assessments for the studies, you name it, and the RAs basically did the grunt work that the lab manager did not have time to do. So, personally, I'd choose the manager/coordinator position if you are trying to beef up your CV.