Rabies Vaccination Requirements for Veterinary Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carterej

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Just found out that Rabies Vaccines run around $720 for the set of three. Anyone know where to get them cheaper?!?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. Just found out that Rabies Vaccines run around $720 for the set of three. Anyone know where to get them cheaper?!?
Find out if your insurance will cover them! Luckily, mine did and they were $30 each. :thumbup::thumbup: If you're not-so-lucky, call around. Try your local health department, travel clinics (places that specialize in the vaccines necessary for international travel), etc. Good luck!! :luck:

also check with the student health insurance offered by the vet school you'll be attending. At Penn the student health insurance covered all the shots and they set up days/times for us to go over and get them at the beginning of the semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
also check with the student health insurance offered by the vet school you'll be attending. At Penn the student health insurance covered all the shots and they set up days/times for us to go over and get them at the beginning of the semester.
Yes!! This too! Check with your school!

Last edited:
$720 is actually on the cheaper ends of other prices I have seen talked about here on SDN. Normally run around $250-$300 a pop.

Kaiser is known to be the most lenient about letting people get them with their insurance. Definitely check with the school and with your insurance company before paying for them.

Yeah, check with the school first before paying for them out-of-pocket. OVC pays for the rabies series for all DVM students.

If you are bitten by a potentially rabid animal, don't they give immunoglobulin plus the three series, all covered by insurance? I'm not saying to go lie about being bitten, but if you do get bitten during shadowing or working, will you get the required shots if you go in?

If you are bitten by a potentially rabid animal, don't they give immunoglobulin plus the three series, all covered by insurance? I'm not saying to go lie about being bitten, but if you do get bitten during shadowing or working, will you get the required shots if you go in?

I think the current protocol is actually Ig + 4 vaccine. (Day 1, 4, 7, 21 or 1, 4, 14, 28 or something like that. It's slightly different than the prophylactic 3-shot protocol.) And I'm not sure if they do Ig unless there's an actual bite site.

I suppose you could lie about it, but that would be .. you know .. fraud.

But yes, if you were potentially exposed to rabies, presumably your medical insurance would cover the care to the extent dictated by your policy.

I can confirm that Kaiser is a great insurance provider for the rabies vax. Not only were all three vaccines free, but my doctor was almost indignant that I even asked whether they were covered.
I've heard of other insurance carriers covering at least part of the vaccines if you can prove that you work with animals/are at risk, but I can't remember who.
Definitely check with your school/program and see if they offer the vaccine series at a reduced cost.

Anyone know St Georges policy on rabies vaccine, like if its needed before you enter vet school or if the health clinic there offers it?

Bumping this thread to ask more about everyone's experiences with getting the vaccines.

I got my first one yesterday and feel AWFUL. Flu like symptoms basically, which I know is a common side effect. I also know they only get worse with each additional shot. Did anyone else notice side effects? I can't be the only one. My immune system is just not liking producing the antibodies or something.

Bumping this thread to ask more about everyone's experiences with getting the vaccines.

I got my first one yesterday and feel AWFUL. Flu like symptoms basically, which I know is a common side effect. I also know they only get worse with each additional shot. Did anyone else notice side effects? I can't be the only one. My immune system is just not liking producing the antibodies or something.

For me, the rabies vaccine was the easiest vaccine I have ever had. Only had a slight sore arm/was really tired after the second vaccine and that went away the following day.

I know other people around the forums have had side effects similar to yours so hopefully one of them will chime in soon.

Hope you are feeling better soon though! :)

For me, the rabies vaccine was the easiest vaccine I have ever had. Only had a slight sore arm/was really tired after the second vaccine and that went away the following day.

I know other people around the forums have had side effects similar to yours so hopefully one of them will chime in soon.

Hope you are feeling better soon though! :)
Thanks! I'd almost describe it as feeling really hungover. I usually do ok with shots but not this one. And of course I started a new job today and I felt like total crap but tried so hard to not let it show. Hopefully I did a good job at acting and working normally.

Thanks! I'd almost describe it as feeling really hungover. I usually do ok with shots but not this one. And of course I started a new job today and I felt like total crap but tried so hard to not let it show. Hopefully I did a good job at acting and working normally.

That really sucks. :(

On the positive side - at least you can just titer-check rather than rebooster, assuming your tigers stay high!

G'luck with the rest of the vaccinations!!

Reactions: 1 user

My first one went fine, my second one though I developed a fever and every joint in my body hurt. Just driving to school with the bumps in the road felt like my spine was being crushed, but the symptoms only lasted for about a day, and ibuprofen came in handy. I didn't have a reaction with the third shot.

I've had 2 out of 3 so far and haven't had an issue at all except a slight headache after the second one, which may or may not have been related! Hoping the last one is just as easy.

On the positive side - at least you can just titer-check rather than rebooster, assuming your tigers stay high!
Be sure to keep your tigers well supplied with catnip and you should be fine.

Reactions: 9 users

I was more or less fine for the first one, but felt generally sick after the second. The third didn't bother me at all.

I felt shaky and flulike a day after my first one, but I think it partially had to do with the fact I drank too much and was insanely hungover from my goodbye party. I was fine after the other two.

I finally feel back to normal today- at least the side effects only lasted very briefly. Thanks for the input, I don't feel as worried now. Can't wait for the second one.... :blackeye:

I felt shaky and flulike a day after my first one, but I think it partially had to do with the fact I drank too much and was insanely hungover from my goodbye party. I was fine after the other two.

Partially? Insanely hungover? Ya think? :)