Race/Ethnicity Identification on Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Red_Cat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering what people thought about race/ethnicity identification on applications. I have applied to vet school two years in a row now. I have been wait listed, but not accepted. I am half hispanic and half white. I have applied as white, since that is the race I identify with (raised by a white mother with an absent hispanic father). I was wondering if it would be seen as a poor decision to apply as hispanic in the future? Should I apply as both hispanic and white? Only hispanic? Only white?

I am looking to open an honest discussion from a community invested in attending vet school.

Members don't see this ad.

White, 20-something females are the overwhelming majority in vet school. I imagine applying as hispanic and white could definitely give you some bonus points for diversity.

That being said, it depends what the rest of your application looks like. Have you spoken to admissions to go over your unsuccessful applications? Applying as a minority may help push you over the edge, but it certainly won't atone for big problems.

Reactions: 1 user
I am also half white and half Hispanic, with a VERY white name and I have always classified myself as Hispanic. Give it a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm half Asian and half white, checked the Asian box. Probably not what got me in, but it didn't hurt either.

if you are a minority, definitely say you are a minority. it can help. There was an article put out last year naming Vet med as the whitest profession in America, so I'm sure schools would like some diversity in an application.

On behalf of the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges (AAVMC), I would like to take the opportunity to address the question that launched this post. The question raises a couple of inherent assumptions that should each be addressed.

Aside from the phenotypical traits associated with racial and ethnic identity, how one identifies herself is a deeply personal decision. Such identity decisions may have social and political implications given the US’s long checkered history on the issue of race. The resulting choice on how to identify racially and ethnically, should be based on how you personally see yourself.

The question about choosing to self-identify as someone who is historically underrepresented specifically for the purposes of gaining some perceived advantage in the application process is concerning. First, let me be very clear, although AAVMC and our member institutions are committed to increasing diversity in our national enrollment, such a commitment is not rooted in a belief that these applicants need to be given an advantage of some type in the application process. Such an approach does nothing to promote the notion that such applicants are not otherwise qualified based on all other criteria. We are committed to attracting competitive applicants from a diversity of backgrounds, and we have been successful in this endeavor as evidenced by our data.

Secondly, the inquiry assumes that admissions processes “give” advantage simply on the basis of racial/ethnic identity. Such practices are illegal. The 2003 Supreme Court case, Gratz v. Bollinger, ruled the practice of awarding points based on these characteristics unconstitutional. In a parallel case, Grutter v. Bollinger, holistic evaluation, meaning admissions processes that consider not only the quantitative metrics of competiveness but also what an applicant adds to the learning environment, were constitutional. These are the kinds of admissions processes embraced by our member institutions in various ways, and the constitutionality of holistic evaluation was upheld in 2013 in Fisher v. University of Texas-Austin. Certainly characteristics like race or ethnicity may be contributing factors in evaluating the whole student (just like rural background or playing sports), but they will not be defining factors in being offered admissions.

We understand that the admissions process seems high stakes and that applicants are eager to find ways to enhance their profile. I would respectfully suggest that this line of inquiry is not the way to meaningfully strengthen a veterinary school application. I am happy to answer any questions; I can be reached at [email protected].

Thank you.
Lisa M. Greenhill, MPA, EdD
AAVMC, Associate Executive Director for Institutional Research and Diversity