Rad Onc Elective during Transitional Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siBOOST

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the option to do up to 2 months of radiation oncology electives during my Transitional Year. I have been told it is a great experience and can help prepare me for PGY2. Also, I can begin to develop connections in a region where I may desire to practice in the future.

On the other hand, some attendings recommend doing electives other than your chosen specialty to gain a broader understanding of medicine.

For those with experience with this situation, what would you recommend? What other electives might be useful?

Members don't see this ad.

My TY was an amazing year. If TY was a medicine specialty I would have done that :)

Anyway, I would definitely do one rotation for the exact reasons you mentioned, but I would do 1. Like you said, its important to use your TY to get a nice broad clinical foundation and you'll have your whole career to learn Rad Onc.

Some of the electives I either did, or wished I did are: Radiology, Pathology, Urgent Care and Anesthesia.

Radiology because we spend a TON of times looking at imaging. Pathology because it sheds a whole new light on the path reports we rely so heavily on. Anesthesia because you can choose to go into some oncologic cases so you get some perspective on the cases you'll be seeing post op but without the terrible schedule of surgery. Finally, I feel like all physicians should maintain at least an urgent care level of proficiency (personal opinion), and that month prepares you to deal with the things you'll see during OTV's.

Finally, a shout out to hospice. If you have hospice as an option, it is an incredible experience and can help hone your symptoms management techniques as well as your ability to counsel your patients in end of life decisions.

Reactions: 1 user
I did 3 weeks earlier in my TY year. It was an awesome break from medicine floors. Faculty were super cool and let me contour and looks like a case report might come out of it as well. I also did Anesthesia and Rads which were basically vacation. I'd recommend an outpatient month. I'm on one right now and am really enjoying it, plus, it is a lot closer to what we will do in terms of clinic, etc than inpatient or ICU.