Radiation exposure for EP/Interventionalists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arrhythmia7

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone going into these fields gives much thought to the amount of scatter radiation we're getting on an almost daily basis. Seems like the concept of lead aprons without protection to the arms/face/head is a bit antiquated. I have a few friends that have actually had custom arm sleeves/headwear made, but does anyone take additional steps for shielding?

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone in the field I know also uses lead glasses to shield from cataracts. Some do use sleeves. Also remember the balance between reducing risk and other cost offsets. First, the weight of carrying full sleeve lead would be highly fatiguing and likely limit the number of cases you could do given how much your arms must move during cath. Second, every pound you carry of lead is another pound you carry on your back and neck, which already leaves some people unable to cath after 20 years of the weight. My understanding is that skin is not nearly as susceptible to spontaneous neoplastic events as other tissues and therefore the offset of risk is not worth the burden of more lead. I have seen some ads for other commercial systems which use more lead acetate windows to reduce the necessity of aprons.

Interesting Abstract from Heart Rhythm 2009:
screenshot20100430at415.png

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What about brain/cranial radiation exposure from fluoroscopy? I known that theoretically non-dividing cells are radio-resistant, but I've heard that glia and vasculature is still susceptible and there are reports of interventionalists getting brain tumors (two in Canada). Does anybody use head protection? Any good options out there for this?

LOL...what's wrong with having more girls?!
More cardiologists having girls might spawn some female interventionalists...since physicians tend to begat more physicians!

Sorry for the necro post.

But does anyone use table to the floor shielding or patient shielding to reduce scatter rads?

Something like the Scatter-Ban? I'm wondering if the new practice that I will be working at ought to get it for their table..