Radiation Exposure in Rad-Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OncMan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am new to this forum, but I have very much enjoyed reading the rad-onc threads.

I have a few questions regarding radiation exposure in rad-onc. I ask these questions because I am strongly considering applying in this field; however, I, myself have had experience with cancer, and I do not want to increase the risk of future malignancies with excessive radiation exposure.

Questions:

1) How does radiation exposure in rad onc residency / practice compare with, say, interventional cards or rads?

2) What are the procedures that involve exposure (e.g. brachy), and can one avoid them and still become a successful radiation oncologist?

3) Is the field moving towards more exposure to rad-onc docs or is the brunt of the exposure on the radiation therapists / nurses?

I would hate to look back 30 years from now and blame my health status on my career choice. Your candid answers to these questions will be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,
OncMan :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Please see the FAQ to answer some of these questions. but

1) How does radiation exposure in rad onc residency / practice compare with, say, interventional cards or rads?

Ive never compared but there are governmental limits. obviously the risks are extremely low for all fields or it wouldnt be legal.

2) What are the procedures that involve exposure (e.g. brachy), and can one avoid them and still become a successful radiation oncologist?

bracy and radiolabeled isotopes. You can avoid them but its not necessary

3) Is the field moving towards more exposure to rad-onc docs or is the brunt of the exposure on the radiation therapists / nurses?

no, we dont ask others to act as human shields for our potential exposure. I dont really know how to answer this question other than to say it would be hughly inappropriate and unethical to ask anyone to expose themselves to dangerous levels of radiation. We all follow the policy of ALARA: as low as reasonablly achieable.