Radiation Oncology Application - Advice PLEASE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KcDO17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I'm first time poster but long time reader. I could really use some brutally honest advice. I have just received my Step 2 scores and couldn't be more disappointed. Based on my credentials, I would like some feedback on my realistic chances of matching into a Rad Onc residency. Any response is greatly appreciated.

Dual-degree DO/MBA
Med School Class Rank/GPA: 29 of 227, GPA 3.6
MBA GPA: 3.8
Step 1: 226
Step 2: 225
Research Exp: 3 publications in cancer in high impact journals (no first author nor radiation oncology directed but focused on cancer immunology/biology), 15+ abstracts/poster/oral presentations in same focus
Volunteer Exp: 30+
Work Exp: 5+

Currently completing an away at a smaller program in the midwest that is growing fast with its reputation only improving. In my meeting w/ the Chairman this past week, he was extremely complimentary with my performance thus far and even stated " from what I've seen so far, you're the best student we've had rotate through here since I took over the department 4 years ago." This program would be a realistic shot, but the only issue is this program is very loyal to their own students and only offer 1-2 spots each year.

I'm currently scheduled to head to another smaller midwest program from my hometown this next month (9/23-10/19) and also plan to rotate out to a program in the Pacific NW (10/28-11/20). I'm also invited to complete another elective at a 4th program (smaller and also in the midwest) from 11/22-12/20. Do I keep these rotations? Do I take the fourth offer with the hopes that 1 of these 4 will take a chance on me?

Any suggestion/advice you have would be a tremendously appreciated gesture. Thank you and all the best!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,
I'm first time poster but long time reader. I could really use some brutally honest advice. I have just received my Step 2 scores and couldn't be more disappointed. Based on my credentials, I would like some feedback on my realistic chances of matching into a Rad Onc residency. Any response is greatly appreciated.

Dual-degree DO/MBA
Research Exp: 3 publications in cancer in high impact journals (no first author nor radiation oncology directed but focused on cancer immunology/biology), 15+ abstracts/poster/oral presentations in same focus

Currently completing an away at a smaller program in the midwest that is growing fast with its reputation only improving. In my meeting w/ the Chairman this past week, he was extremely complimentary with my performance thus far and even stated " from what I've seen so far, you're the best student we've had rotate through here since I took over the department 4 years ago." This program would be a realistic shot, but the only issue is this program is very loyal to their own students and only offer 1-2 spots each year.

I'm currently scheduled to head to another smaller midwest program from my hometown this next month (9/23-10/19) and also plan to rotate out to a program in the Pacific NW (10/28-11/20). I'm also invited to complete another elective at a 4th program (smaller and also in the midwest) from 11/22-12/20. Do I keep these rotations? Do I take the fourth offer with the hopes that 1 of these 4 will take a chance on me?

Any suggestion/advice you have would be a tremendously appreciated gesture. Thank you and all the best!

100% since you are already in medical school. :D

That aside, I wish I could give you some honest help on this one. I am only a medical school applicant so I do not have any experience in this process. I do however wish you the best of luck in this!!
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=14 (Perhaps this link will help direct you to a board that might be of more help to you)

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

Dual-degree DO/MBA

Matching rad onc is extremely hard as a DO student from what I have read on the forums. Maybe 1 or 2 people per year match into Rad Onc in ACGME (average USMLE step 1 around 240). Hopeful a resident or 4th year DO medical student can chime in. I wish you luck though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know much about this process, but I would imagine that contacting the PDs directly about your chances would be the most beneficial.

Go ask this in the med student and resident forums. They'll help you out a lot more

Last edited: