radiation therapist? any advice will help...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marishka

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone... i'm so glad to have found this forum. I'm in the middle of a crossroads and i just need some advice. I'm 24 and have a BA in liberal arts. I was pre-med and changed my major because i didn't want to become a doctor. I always wanted to help people with cancer but not by being a doctor. I didn't know about radiation therapy and the other kinds of fields within healthcare. Anyways, my question is how do i start to being a radiation therapist with a liberal arts background? Do i have to get another bachlors or do a two year program? I live in california and i don't think there are a lot of programs... HOw is the schooling like? alot of chemistry? math? science? lastly, how is it like being a radiation therapist? what's your day like? any kind of advice will help. please. I know i want to work with people who have cancer and now i know of radiation therapy... is there anything else like it? so if anyone can please just help me out with some information, i would appreciate it. thank you

Members don't see this ad.

hello everyone... i'm so glad to have found this forum. I'm in the middle of a crossroads and i just need some advice. I'm 24 and have a BA in liberal arts. I was pre-med and changed my major because i didn't want to become a doctor. I always wanted to help people with cancer but not by being a doctor. I didn't know about radiation therapy and the other kinds of fields within healthcare. Anyways, my question is how do i start to being a radiation therapist with a liberal arts background? Do i have to get another bachlors or do a two year program? I live in california and i don't think there are a lot of programs... HOw is the schooling like? alot of chemistry? math? science? lastly, how is it like being a radiation therapist? what's your day like? any kind of advice will help. please. I know i want to work with people who have cancer and now i know of radiation therapy... is there anything else like it? so if anyone can please just help me out with some information, i would appreciate it. thank you

I'm from Canada, so things are a little different up here. But I do have a friend who works as a radiation therapist in Arizona. In the USA, you can get an associates degree (2 yrs). You don't need a Bachelors though there are schools that offer it. If you want to get into higher positions later, you probably will need a degree though. Also keep in mind that in the USA the market is saturated with radiation therapists. So, you have to be able to willing to move even across the country to find a job.

Just search for Radiation Therapy schools in California, I think there are many schools.

The hardest thing is finding work as a new graduate. I spent 5 months looking, but finally found a place.