Radiology program on probation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Curious DO

Reaction score
Hello! This is a throwaway for obvious reasons.

Please don't quote anything sensitive as I plan on taking this post down (also for obvious reasons) if I get some answers.

I matched rads this year and recently learned the program is on probation. There's only one rads program on probation right now, which is listed on the ACGME website - I'd rather not spell it out to make this thread easily googled. The program isn't telling me what's going on. They sent a generic letter saying basically "hey, the ACGME says we have to tell you we're on probation, so surprise! We're on probation. Sign this form stating you know about our probation and send it back."

I asked my prelim PD for advice and he stated to find out as soon as possible if it's something serious, so he can start trying to make connections and help me find a place to go for radiology next year if I need to find another program. However, I've hit a lot of walls trying to get to this information, so this thread is a sort of Hail Mary for me.

I have a current co-resident who rotated in the program as a med student - he was kind enough to reach out to the person who had been APD while the co-resident was there. He explained my situation, and the former APD replied back that he cannot discuss the probation. My co-residents' other contacts also said nothing. I personally contacted the ACGME to try to find answers and received this response back - "The ACGME requires that programs notify current and future/potential residents of their probationary status, however; they are not obligated to divulge the specifics of the status, nor does ACGME share that information."

I also didn't write down any of the residents' contact information during the interview or social, because to be perfectly honest, it was my last radiology interview, I had a list >15 programs already, and I was pretty sure I was going to match somewhere else. I very nearly cancelled it, but decided at the last minute to play it safe and keep the interview. I ranked the program below 10, but it wasn't at the bottom of my list because they won me over during the interview. I thought it sounded like a great place to train. It's a large university program that sees a lot of pathology so I unfortunately ranked it above some of the small community DR programs on my list.

Now I've been taking a closer look, after some in-depth googling I now know that the parent company is also the company that sold Hahnemann, which had to close right after, and that they've sold every other academic hospital they've held, all of which are also closed... so I have some real bad feelings about all of this. Trust me, you don't have to tell me how stupid I was to accept the interview and rank the program. Hindsight is 20/20 and I would do things differently if I could re-do last year, but obviously that's impossible now. The only thing I have to defend my behavior is the program did not go into probation until April 2022, so the impending probation was not information that was available at the time I made my rank list and considering the program has been around for decades, it didn't occur to me to think I had anything to worry about.

Does anyone have any information, or know how I can go about finding it? I am currently doing some rads research and will be asking attendings that I work with this year if they would be willing to write LORs just in case, but if anyone can give me any other help/advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have information for you about the program, but I will say I think all the Hahnemann residents got spots after their residency closed because they already had ACGME funding. This actually allowed a lot of residents to go to much better residencies because they were basically "free" and didn't take away a funded spot and allowed for a larger call pool, etc. It looks like the probation is something administrative with core but that's pretty nonspecific. You could try to cold email current residents if you can get their info from residency website.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't have information for you about the program, but I will say I think all the Hahnemann residents got spots after their residency closed because they already had ACGME funding. This actually allowed a lot of residents to go to much better residencies because they were basically "free" and didn't take away a funded spot and allowed for a larger call pool, etc. It looks like the probation is something administrative with core but that's pretty nonspecific. You could try to cold email current residents if you can get their info from residency website.
Thank you! I don't know what the format for their emails are but I do have names... so I suppose I can try every version I find on google until something sticks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it’s not great, obviously. But it could be a stepping stone to a better program possibly if it shuts down. That being said, I had a coresident who had his intern year program shutdown halfway through and it was/is a pain because for the rest of his professional life he’s going to have to track down transcripts for a program that no longer exists when he needs licensing/credentialing.